From: no.top.post on
Is this OS operating correctly ?

> [root(a)localhost Legal]# ls *op
> ls: *op: No such file or directory
> [root(a)localhost Legal]# ls *op*
> Apr26Ltop Legal:Dictionarys Legal:Top.Bak Log.Bak
> Legal:Definitions LEGAL:SU LEGALXLA Routledge
> Legal:Definitions.Bak Legal:Top Log
> [root(a)localhost Legal]#

Doesn't "*op" include "Legal:Top" ?
How the hell does it include "LEGALXLA" ?

Does anybody else believe is subconcious knowledge, like what told me to try
`ls *op*` to find 'Legal:Top'

While writing this, I think I discovered why Legal:Top is not seen in `ls *op`.
So why didn't they restrict the valid file-ID to avoid this problem?

TIA.

From: John Wingate on
no.top.post(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Is this OS operating correctly ?

Probably. See below.

>> [root(a)localhost Legal]# ls *op
>> ls: *op: No such file or directory
>> [root(a)localhost Legal]# ls *op*
>> Apr26Ltop Legal:Dictionarys Legal:Top.Bak Log.Bak
>> Legal:Definitions LEGAL:SU LEGALXLA Routledge
>> Legal:Definitions.Bak Legal:Top Log
>> [root(a)localhost Legal]#
>
> Doesn't "*op" include "Legal:Top" ?

Yes.

> How the hell does it include "LEGALXLA" ?

It doesn't.

> Does anybody else believe is subconcious knowledge, like what told me to try
> `ls *op*` to find 'Legal:Top'

I think you are confused.

> While writing this, I think I discovered why Legal:Top is not seen in `ls *op`.
> So why didn't they restrict the valid file-ID to avoid this problem?

What did you discover? And I don't understand your question. But I doubt
there is a real problem, since what you show is consistent with the way
ls has behaved for forty years. Consider:

$ ls
topsyturvy
$ ls *op
ls: cannot access *op: No such file or directory
$ ls *op*
Apr26Ltop Legal:Definitions Legal:Top Log.Bak
LEGAL:SU Legal:Definitions.Bak Legal:Top.Bak Routledge
LEGALXLA Legal:Dictionarys Log
$ ls -l
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 jww jww 4096 2010-06-21 23:38 topsyturvy

--
John Wingate Mathematics is the art which teaches
johnww(a)worldpath.net one how not to make calculations.
From: mjt on
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:58:25 -0500
John Wingate <johnww(a)worldpath.net> wrote:

[snipped]
> What did you discover? And I don't understand your question. But I
> doubt there is a real problem, since what you show is consistent with
> the way ls has behaved for forty years. Consider:
>
> $ ls
> topsyturvy
> $ ls *op
> ls: cannot access *op: No such file or directory

dumb question - how did all those files show up in the
(ls *op*) list when you only have one file in the dir?:

> $ ls *op*
> Apr26Ltop Legal:Definitions Legal:Top Log.Bak
> LEGAL:SU Legal:Definitions.Bak Legal:Top.Bak Routledge
> LEGALXLA Legal:Dictionarys Log
[snipped]

--
Magnet, n.: Something acted upon by magnetism
Magnetism, n.: Something acting upon a magnet.

The two definitions immediately foregoing are condensed from the works
of one thousand eminent scientists, who have illuminated the subject
with a great white light, to the inexpressible advancement of human
knowledge.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: J G Miller on
On Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 11:57:07 -0500, mjt asked:
> dumb question - how did all those files show up in the (ls *op*) list
> when you only have one file in the dir?:

Yes, it is at first a little confusing.

In fact there are no "files" in the directory, only the single
directory topsyturvy.

So when you do ls *op*, it matches the op in topsyturvy and then
lists all of the files contained within, including the LEGALXLA.

This is why it is always a good idea to use ls -l rather than
ls to see what the filetypes of the entities are which are present.
From: Bill Waddington on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:57:07 -0500, mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:58:25 -0500
>John Wingate <johnww(a)worldpath.net> wrote:
>
>[snipped]
>> What did you discover? And I don't understand your question. But I
>> doubt there is a real problem, since what you show is consistent with
>> the way ls has behaved for forty years. Consider:
>>
>> $ ls
>> topsyturvy
>> $ ls *op
>> ls: cannot access *op: No such file or directory
>
>dumb question - how did all those files show up in the
>(ls *op*) list when you only have one file in the dir?:
>
>> $ ls *op*
>> Apr26Ltop Legal:Definitions Legal:Top Log.Bak
>> LEGAL:SU Legal:Definitions.Bak Legal:Top.Bak Routledge
>> LEGALXLA Legal:Dictionarys Log
>[snipped]

[unsnipped]

> $ ls -l
> total 4
> drwxr-xr-x 2 jww jww 4096 2010-06-21 23:38 topsyturvy

In John's example there's one _directory_ in the dir. Presumably it
contains all those other files.

The command is looking for _directories_ whos names have "op" in them
and listing their contents.

Bill
--
William D Waddington