From: Ed Flecko on
Sometimes my PC will become so busy that I can't even bring up task
manager to try and see what's hogging my CPU.

Isn't there a way to use Performance Monitor and set a "trigger" for
CPU usage to start a log file of some type to determine what
application(s) are bogging down my PC?

Ed
From: Pfsszxt on
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:30:52 -0800 (PST), Ed Flecko
<craigcaughlin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Sometimes my PC will become so busy that I can't even bring up task
>manager to try and see what's hogging my CPU.
>
>Isn't there a way to use Performance Monitor and set a "trigger" for
>CPU usage to start a log file of some type to determine what
>application(s) are bogging down my PC?
>
>Ed
Open task manager
From: Sjouke Burry on
Ed Flecko wrote:
> Sometimes my PC will become so busy that I can't even bring up task
> manager to try and see what's hogging my CPU.
>
> Isn't there a way to use Performance Monitor and set a "trigger" for
> CPU usage to start a log file of some type to determine what
> application(s) are bogging down my PC?
>
> Ed
Open (and leave open) the taskmanager when the computer
is still working properly.
That way, when trouble starts, you can watch the culprit.
From: Gualtier Malde on
Ed Flecko wrote:
> Sometimes my PC will become so busy that I can't even bring up task
> manager to try and see what's hogging my CPU.
>
> Isn't there a way to use Performance Monitor and set a "trigger" for
> CPU usage to start a log file of some type to determine what
> application(s) are bogging down my PC?
>
> Ed
Do you have AVG? I had the experience of strange runaway behavior from
avgchsvc.exe. When I got Task Manager up I could see the process CPU time
cycling rapidly and Performance showed a bizarre picture. I took a screen shot.
Find it on ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/c/chuckb/download/AVG_runaway.jpg/

This was in Windows 2000 but something similar has happed in my XP machine

I went in a gave AVG the lowest priority and then Un-checked "Use Heuristics" in
all scans. Seems to be behaving.

Apparently this could have been prevented if I had done a "configuration scan"
on installation.