From: DeMarcus on
Hi,

In C++ Coding Standards by Sutter & Alexandrescu, Item 32, they say in short; "An exception class has no-fail constructors, especially a no-fail copy constructor".

I have some thoughts regarding this.

1. An exception class doesn't /need/ to have no-fail constructor, right? It's just that the following

throw SomeException();

might actually throw std::bad_alloc instead if the constructor tried to allocate something and the memory is out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but allowing the constructor to throw will not introduce inconsistency or undefined behavior. It will just uncontrollable change the attention to std::bad_alloc that took precedence, so the biggest problem is that the original exception won't be logged. Or are there any other implications by throwing from the exception constructor?

2. I understand that an exception class must have a no-fail copy constructor if I catch by value, but why do I need to have a copy constructor at all if I catch by reference?

3. Will C++0x be able to utilize the move semantics to avoid all copy construction of exceptions?

Thanks,
Daniel

From: Daniel Krügler on
On 2 Mai, 14:52, DeMarcus <use_my_alias_h...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In C++ Coding Standards by Sutter & Alexandrescu, Item 32, they say in short; "An exception class has no-fail constructors,
especially a no-fail copy constructor".

> I have some thoughts regarding this.
>
> 1. An exception class doesn't /need/ to have no-fail constructor, right? It's just that the following
>
> throw SomeException();
>
> might actually throw std::bad_alloc instead if the constructor tried to allocate something and the memory is out.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but allowing the constructor to throw will not introduce inconsistency or undefined behavior. It will
just uncontrollable change the attention to std::bad_alloc that took precedence, so the biggest problem is that the original
exception won't be logged. Or are there any other implications by throwing from the exception constructor?

This question is not an easy one. The crux of the matter is
the current wording of [except.terminate]/1 b. 1:

"In the following situations exception handling must be
abandoned for less subtle error handling techniques:
� when the exception handling mechanism, after completing
evaluation of the expression to be thrown but before the
exception is caught (15.1), calls a function that exits
via an uncaught exception, (footnote 143)"

with footnote 143:

"For example, if the object being thrown is of a class
with a copy constructor, std::terminate() will be called
if that copy constructor exits with an exception during
a throw."

So there exists some reason to assume that an exception
thrown during the evaluation of the throw expression
shall invoke terminate.

But this conclusion depends indirectly on the question
when the function std::uncaught_exception() evaluates to
true and there exists a lengthy issue about this problem:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/cwg_active.html#475

This discussion shows that the wording needs to be clearer
and that current implementations vary. As of the currently
proposed resolution it looks like as if the wanted outcome
should be that your example would not invoke terminate,
but instead would throw the exception of the copy constructor.

According to this wording, there would still be chance to
get std::terminate involved, but this could only happen,
if the programmer defines an exception handler "by-value":

void test() {
try {
throw SomeException(); // #1
} catch (SomeException) { // #2
}
}

int main() {
try {
test();
} catch(...) {
}
}

Assume that the copy constructor or default constructor
involved in #1 does *not* throw an exception, but the
copy constructor involved in #2 does, this will still
lead to an invokation of std::terminate according to
the current P/R of #475. IMO this is acceptable, because
most style guide's I'm aware of already require that
exceptions should be caught by reference, so this
should be not a typical problem.

> 2. I understand that an exception class must have a no-fail copy constructor if I catch by value, but why do I need to have a copy
constructor at all if I catch by reference?

Because the runtime needs to create the so-called
exception object, see [except.throw]/3+4, which is
a copy of the initial-exception. This special exception
object cannot be an automatic object, because it's
life-time will need to exceed the current scope.

It is explicitly allowed for an implementation to
elide the copy step in your example, but that is
not a requirement, see [except.throw]/5:

"When the thrown object is a class object, the copy/move
constructor and the destructor shall be accessible,
even if the copy/move operation is elided (12.8)."

> 3. Will C++0x be able to utilize the move semantics to
> avoid all copy construction of exceptions?

Yes, an implementation is allowed to call the move
constructor, if such exists. This is one of the
special cases listed in [class.copy]/34 bullet 2:

"� in a throw-expression, when the operand is the
name of a non-volatile automatic object whose scope
does not extend beyond the end of the innermost
enclosing try-block (if there is one), the copy/move
operation from the operand to the exception object
(15.1) can be omitted by constructing the automatic
object directly into the exception object"

But the currently considered P/R of 475 would also
ensure this for the general case.

HTH & Greetings from Bremen,

Daniel Kr�gler

From: DeMarcus on
Daniel Kr�gler wrote:
> [...]
> if the programmer defines an exception handler "by-value":
>
> void test() {
> try {
> throw SomeException(); // #1
> } catch (SomeException) { // #2
> }
> }
>
> int main() {
> try {
> test();
> } catch(...) {
> }
> }
>
> Assume that the copy constructor or default constructor
> involved in #1 does *not* throw an exception, but the
> copy constructor involved in #2 does, this will still
> lead to an invokation of std::terminate according to
> the current P/R of #475. IMO this is acceptable, because
> most style guide's I'm aware of already require that
> exceptions should be caught by reference, so this

Thanks for your thorough explanation!

So, as I understand it, with C++0x, as long as I catch by reference I can throw as much exceptions I want from an exception object without risking a std::terminate? (with the latest exception thrown taking precedence until caught)

From: DeMarcus on
DeMarcus wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> int main() {
>> try {
>> test();
>> } catch(...) {
>> }
>> }
>>
>> Assume that the copy constructor or default constructor
>> involved in #1 does *not* throw an exception, but the
>> copy constructor involved in #2 does, this will still
>> lead to an invokation of std::terminate according to
>> the current P/R of #475. IMO this is acceptable, because
>> most style guide's I'm aware of already require that
>> exceptions should be caught by reference, so this
>> should be not a typical problem.
>>

> Thanks for your thorough explanation!
>
> So, as I understand it, with C++0x, as long as I catch by reference I
> can throw as much exceptions I want from an exception object without
> risking a std::terminate? (with the latest exception thrown taking

Additionally, my point is that such behavior is quite important. The exception constructor has to have the possibility to throw. We have three scenarios down the scopes when an exception has been thrown.

* Propagate the exception, i.e. no catch.
* Handle or swallow the exception, i.e. catch.
* Translate the exception, i.e. catch and (re)throw.

If we start bottom up, the translation of an exception may be non-trivial where some implementations add more information to the new exception to be thrown, and some implementations may log the error (where the logger may throw). I claim that it's
impossible to demand an exception translation be nothrow.

try { doSomething(); }
catch( const SomeException& ex )
{
// -- Translation of exception --

// Maybe some logging...
// Maybe some adding of information...

throw AnotherException( moreInfo );
}

If we agree a translation may throw, we may as well accept an exception constructor to throw as the constructor can be seen as part of a translation.

If we agree a constructor may throw, it is natural that also the copy constructor should be able to throw.

Since the copy constructor may be invoked unseen during an exception propagation we end up in following induction reasoning.

If exception translation should be able to throw, i.e. any part within the catch clause, std::terminate must not be called if a new exception is thrown and caught by reference.

Can we force (or even strongly recommend) exception translation be nothrow? Please give your thoughts on this.

As a side discussion I would like to comment on following item in FAQ Lite. In [17.3] they discuss how to handle a destructor that fails. Note! I'm not going to argue against that a destructor must never throw, but I want to comment on their discussion in
connection to exception translation.

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/exceptions.html#faq-17.3

They say
"During stack unwinding, all the local objects in all those stack frames are destructed. If one of those destructors throws an exception (say it throws a Bar object), the C++ runtime system is in a no-win situation: should it ignore the Bar and end up in
the } catch (Foo e) { where it was originally headed? Should it ignore the Foo and look for a } catch (Bar e) { handler? There is no good answer � either choice loses information."

Yes, either choice loses information, but terminating the application loses *all* information. During an exception translation I find it important that at least some exception comes out of it instead of a termination. I prefer to have a std::bad_alloc
logged and a graceful shutdown than a crash without information, even though the original exception may have been something as important as 'configuration file corrupt'.

From: Martin B. on
DeMarcus wrote:

> As a side discussion I would like to comment on following item in FAQ
> Lite. In [17.3] they discuss how to handle a destructor that fails.
> Note! I'm not going to argue against that a destructor must never throw,
> but I want to comment on their discussion in connection to exception
> translation.
>
> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/exceptions.html#faq-17.3
>
> They say
> "During stack unwinding, all the local objects in all those stack frames
> are destructed. If one of those destructors throws an exception (say it
> throws a Bar object), the C++ runtime system is in a no-win situation:
> should it ignore the Bar and end up in the } catch (Foo e) { where it
> was originally headed? Should it ignore the Foo and look for a } catch
> (Bar e) { handler? There is no good answer � either choice loses
> information."
>
> Yes, either choice loses information, but terminating the application
> loses *all* information. During an exception translation I find it
> important that at least some exception comes out of it instead of a
> termination. I prefer to have a std::bad_alloc logged and a graceful
> shutdown than a crash without information, even though the original
> exception may have been something as important as 'configuration file
> corrupt'.

Personally, I have found that the default bail-out mechanism of C++, namely to call terminate() -> abort() is totally insufficient - at least on Windows.
However, we have set_terminate() and/or can react to SIGABRT and can basically do whatever we like. When we receive a SIGABRT in our app, we generate a dump file and then shut down. At least that way we can analyse where the abort() came from. (As opposed
to catching, say, bad_alloc, as that will only tell me where I caught the exception, not where it originated.)

cheers,
Martin