From: Jim on
Hi everybody,

I googled and can't figure this out...I just installed Debian 3.1r5
(used to run 2.2). I installed telnetd (please, no posts about how
unsecure it is) using aptitude. telnet to localhost gives me a
connection refused error. I looked in /var/log/syslog and found an
inetd entry complaining about no such user for 'telnetd.telnetd'.

I looked at the inetd.conf fle and it's the same as the one in my old
Debian install. I replaced the owner field of 'telnetd.telnetd' with
root and telnetd works fine (it allows local and remote logins).

Sure, I can keep the file change, but I'd like to learn what went
wrong with the install.

One more thing that may/may not be relevant. In syslog, inetd also
has an entry about not finding initd.d (there is none in /etc--I'm
using inetd.conf). For now I'm assuming this message is just a
nuisance "informative" one.

Thanks all for the insight!

Jim

From: Mark Hobley on
In comp.os.linux.networking Jim <adirondackmtn(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I looked in /var/log/syslog and found an inetd entry complaining about no
such user for 'telnetd.telnetd'.

Does the user exist in /etc/passwd?

telnetd:x:104:104::/nonexistent:/bin/false

> I looked at the inetd.conf fle and it's the same as the one in my old
> Debian install. I replaced the owner field of 'telnetd.telnetd' with
> root and telnetd works fine (it allows local and remote logins).

The telnetd user should work in inetd.conf:

telnet stream tcp nowait telnetd.telnetd /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.telnetd

Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
393 Quinton Road West

Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
International: 0044 121 247 1596

http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Jim on
On Mar 24, 3:03 pm, markhob...(a)hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley)
wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.networking Jim <adirondack...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:> I looked in /var/log/syslog and found an inetd entry complaining about no
>
> such user for 'telnetd.telnetd'.
>
> Does the user exist in /etc/passwd?
>
> telnetd:x:104:104::/nonexistent:/bin/false
>

> > I looked at the inetd.conf fle and it's the same as the one in my old
> > Debian install. I replaced the owner field of 'telnetd.telnetd' with
> > root and telnetd works fine (it allows local and remote logins).
>
> The telnetd user should work in inetd.conf:
>
> telnet stream tcp nowait telnetd.telnetd /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark.
>
> --
> Mark Hobley
> 393 Quinton Road West
> QUINTON
> Birmingham
> B32 1QE
>
> Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
> International: 0044 121 247 1596
>
> Email: markhobley at hotpop dot donottypethisbit com
>
> http://markhobley.yi.org/

Mark,

Yes, telnetd is in /etc/passwd. This is strange.

Jim

From: Mark Hobley on
In comp.os.linux.networking Jim <adirondackmtn(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes, telnetd is in /etc/passwd. This is strange.

Ok. In /etc/hosts.allow:

ALL: 127.0.0.1

Stop and restart network services. Can you now telnet localhost?

Regards,

Mark.

From: Jim on
On Mar 24, 5:03 pm, markhob...(a)hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley)
wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.networking Jim <adirondack...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, telnetd is in /etc/passwd. This is strange.
>
> Ok. In /etc/hosts.allow:
>
> ALL: 127.0.0.1
>
> Stop and restart network services. Can you now telnet localhost?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark.
>
> --
> Mark Hobley
> 393 Quinton Road West
> QUINTON
> Birmingham
> B32 1QE
>
> Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
> International: 0044 121 247 1596
>
> Email: markhobley at hotpop dot donottypethisbit com
>
> http://markhobley.yi.org/

Mark,

It didn't make a difference. I think the problem is the telnetd
server process was never launched because inetd doesn't recognize
telnetd as a valid user. Recall in my first post about the syslog
message. The exact message is: gumby inetd[614]: telnet/tcp: No
such user 'telnetd.telnetd', service ignored. I don't see a telnetd
process running.

My passwd entry is: telnetd:x:103:103::/nonexistent:/bin/false

My group entry is: telnetd:x:103:

Like I said, I can get it running if I change inetd.conf to have root
as the user, but I shouldn't have to (it wasn't that way on my older
Debian install).

Jim