From: Ben on
My girlfriend is trying to do some financial coursework. In the book
she is reading it uses ý in the calculation. After searching around
on the internet we have found it is the /neg symbol. But what does it
mean and how is it used. In the book the following step is shown in a
calculation. (##note## to show powers I have put them on the line
above (showing superset) and the line below shows the subset numbers.

-2 -4
50.6(1.1) A * (1.1)
3ý0.10

50.6 * 0.83 * 2.49 * 0.91 = ý+95 163

So we know that A = 2.49.
3ý0.10

But we can't work out why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou for you time.

Ben & Angel.
From: G. A. Edgar on
In article <c2d24516.0503292309.1b061feb(a)posting.google.com>, Ben
<bs2k1(a)excite.com> wrote:

> My girlfriend is trying to do some financial coursework. In the book
> she is reading it uses ý in the calculation. After searching around
> on the internet we have found it is the /neg symbol. But what does it
> mean and how is it used. In the book the following step is shown in a
> calculation. (##note## to show powers I have put them on the line
> above (showing superset) and the line below shows the subset numbers.
>
> -2 -4
> 50.6(1.1) A * (1.1)
> 3ý0.10
>
> 50.6 * 0.83 * 2.49 * 0.91 = ý+95 163
>

> So we know that A = 2.49.
> 3ý0.10
>
> But we can't work out why.
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou for you time.
>
> Ben & Angel.

The symbol "\neg" in TeX is used in symbolic logic for negation.
But this is not what you have here. In
A = 2.49.
3ý0.10
is the horizontal actually above the 3, and the vertical between
the 3 and the 0.10 ? (If not, it should be.)

This is the present value of an annuity with 3 periods at
interest rate 0.10, computed as:
(1-(1+0.10)^(-3))/0.10 = 2.48685

Isn't this defined in the text? Look up "present value" in the index to
see if it is...

--
G. A. Edgar http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~edgar/