From: Leonidas Jones on
peteflint(a)nospam.com wrote:
> It seems to me that older versions of Firefox had a SIZER option, so
> when someone gets a page wider than the screen, they can make the page
> fit the screen. Im using FF 2.0019 (in Win98se). That option is
> gone, OR..... Did I have and lose an addon/plugin?
>
> Since my screen is set to 600x800 it seems that I have to scroll
> sideways on nearly every web page lately. Most irritating......
> I have poor eyesite and can not set the screen resolution higher.
>
> Pete

Well, I hate to say it, but the only real answer to your issues would be
new hardware.

Most web sites are optimized to the 1040 res these days, which is the
most common low res. Yeah, it is certainly possible to build web sites
that do not depend on a particular screen res, but, to be realistic, web
designers don't do that.

The most recent FF version for 98 is 2.0.0.20, so you might as well go
there.

I don't know of any extension that would help you in this, but I don't
have an exhaustive knowledge of all extensions.

First of all, you need a newer monitor, which can accomodate higher
screen resolutions. My mother, in her 60's, has a 24 inch wide screen
monitor. We have it set at the 1024 screen res, which is far lower then
its max, but it suits her eyes.

Such a monitor may well not work on your system, since the OS is so old.
You could explore another monitor on the system, and se a Linux distro,
which would be able to use the newer monitor. I recommend Ubuntu for
those switching over from Windows. It is free, and will run well on most
systems that can run 98SE.

Then again, if you are very used to Windows, and want to stay there, a
newer Windows OS would be a good idea.

I am afraid to say that with your current hardware, you are probably
going to be stuck with the horizantal scroll.

Lee