From: Jason Huang on
Hi,

In my SQL Server 2008, I tried to restore some db.
I searfed the internet and found some command like
Restore MyDB FROM DISK = 'C:\BackUp\.bak' WITH file=1, RECOVERY
I am wondering what the 'file = 1 is.
Thanks for help.

Jason

From: Mark Fitzgerald on
In this context it is the first backup within the backup file. Unless you
use INIT or FORMAT within the BACKUP command any new backups you do will add
to the current file (if one exists). To choose between the backups within a
file you use the FILE = integer clause.

Fitz

From: Jason Huang on
Thanks.
I'm testing using the Win2008 Server + SQL Server, the .bak file is from the
old SQL Server 2000 on a Win2003 Server.
While the result of executing the simple script
RESTORE DATABASE MYDB from DISK = 'C:\BackUp\MYDB.bak' will be Msg 3159,
Level 16, State 1, Line 1 The tail of the log for the database "MYDB" has
not been backed up.
Then I tried the
RESTORE DATABASE MYDB from DISK = 'C:\BackUp\MYDB.bak' WITH file=1, Replace
it will work.
However I'm still thinking if the result will be varied much.

"Mark Fitzgerald" <notes_sql(a)hotmail.com>
???????:O1lyFBW1KHA.5828(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

From: Mark Fitzgerald on
The message refers to the file you are overwriting. The database already
exists so SQL presumes that the log file contains important entries so must
be backed up before being overwritten. The REPLACE clause turns off this
behavior and overwrites the database. To backup the tail log before
restoring use BACKUP LOG ... WITH NO_RECOVERY.