From: Patrick Keenan on

"William B. Lurie" <billurie(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
> It's a 'service' that keeps showing up ans an 'event' in the
> Events Monitor...
> and I'd like to know what it does for me, do I need it,

It provides network transport services, and you need it if you want to
connect to an ethernet network.

> what
> do I lose if I disable it, or what?

You'll lose any kind of internet access.

This hibernation issue may be related to a Wake-On-Lan setting for your
network adapter or BIOS. the same sort of thing can happen if moving hte
mouse or tapping a key will wake the system.

So, look at the adapter or BIOS settings.

But don't disableTCP/IP unless you really don't want to use your network
access at all.

HTH
-pk

HTH
-pk

From: Patrick Keenan on

> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> It's a 'service' that keeps showing up ans an 'event' in the
>> Events Monitor...
>> and I'd like to know what it does for me, do I need it, what
>> do I lose if I disable it, or what?
>
> Let me add the following 'event':
>
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: Tcpip
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 4201
> Date: 3/17/2010
> Time: 10:15:48 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
> The system detected that network adapter
> \DEVICE\TCPIP_{D5E50A75-4A1C-4421-A5B4-569C9FE131B8} was connected to the
> network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

> Data:
> 0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
> 0008: 00 00 00 00 69 10 00 40 ....i..@
> 0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>
> So my follow-up question is:
>
> I am one isolated desktop PC, hard- wired by Ethernet to my ISP via
> DSL.

And the connection is TCP/IP. And if you're connected to an ISP, the
"isolation" of your system is arguable.

> Am I a network?

You aren't, but your machine is most certainly on one.

> Do I need a network adapter?

You already have one. That's what the ethernet cable plugs into.

HTH
-pk

From: William B. Lurie on
Patrick Keenan wrote:

> "William B. Lurie" <billurie(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
>> It's a 'service' that keeps showing up ans an 'event' in the
>> Events Monitor...
>> and I'd like to know what it does for me, do I need it,
>
> It provides network transport services, and you need it if you want to
> connect to an ethernet network.
>
>> what
>> do I lose if I disable it, or what?
>
> You'll lose any kind of internet access.
>
> This hibernation issue may be related to a Wake-On-Lan setting for your
> network adapter or BIOS. the same sort of thing can happen if moving
> hte mouse or tapping a key will wake the system.
>
> So, look at the adapter or BIOS settings.
>
> But don't disableTCP/IP unless you really don't want to use your network
> access at all.
>
> HTH
> -pk
>
> HTH
> -pk
Patrick, I thank you for the specific education. So
the TCP/IP is an essential part of my connection
to Internet and must remain. But the Wake-on-LAN business
sounds promising. Moving the mouse wakes my dormant
system from any form of sleep except actual hibernation,
which requires pushing the power-on button on the tower.

Now I guess I have to get with HP as to the BIOS settings,
or maybe my ISP (AT^T) who furnished the adapter (i.e.,
modem). Or I could nose around in the BIOS to see if anything
pops up.

Any further advice regarding wake-on-LAN will be welcome from
anybody........
From: William B. Lurie on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> Patrick Keenan wrote:
>>
>> "William B. Lurie" <billurie(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> It's a 'service' that keeps showing up ans an 'event' in the
>>> Events Monitor...
>>> and I'd like to know what it does for me, do I need it,
>>
>> It provides network transport services, and you need it if you want to
>> connect to an ethernet network.
>>
>>> what
>>> do I lose if I disable it, or what?
>>
>> You'll lose any kind of internet access.
>>
>> This hibernation issue may be related to a Wake-On-Lan setting for
>> your network adapter or BIOS. the same sort of thing can happen if
>> moving hte mouse or tapping a key will wake the system.
>>
>> So, look at the adapter or BIOS settings.
>>
>> But don't disableTCP/IP unless you really don't want to use your
>> network access at all.
>>
>> HTH
>> -pk
>>
>> HTH
>> -pk
> Patrick, I thank you for the specific education. So
> the TCP/IP is an essential part of my connection
> to Internet and must remain. But the Wake-on-LAN business
> sounds promising. Moving the mouse wakes my dormant
> system from any form of sleep except actual hibernation,
> which requires pushing the power-on button on the tower.
>
> Now I guess I have to get with HP as to the BIOS settings,
> or maybe my ISP (AT^T) who furnished the adapter (i.e.,
> modem). Or I could nose around in the BIOS to see if anything
> pops up.
>
> Any further advice regarding wake-on-LAN will be welcome from
> anybody........

Continuing on, I'd like to present some more evidence that I
believe bears on this same failure-to-hibernate problem.

Overnight, my Events Log showed that WIA was invoked every
hour, and I'm going to start a new thread to see if maybe *that*
can be reset to not happen every hour.
From: Bill P on
Try setting WIA to manual.