From: Matthew Lincoln on
Sorry for this newbie question:

at is the difference between "su" and "sudo" command ?

Matthew
From: ray on
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:15:21 +0000, Matthew Lincoln wrote:

> Sorry for this newbie question:
>
> at is the difference between "su" and "sudo" command ?
>
> Matthew

'su' allows you to log in as another user (not necessarily even
superuser, if you specify a user name). sudo allows you to run a command
as though you were logged in as superuser. man pages will give you much
more info.
From: Stan Bischof on
In comp.os.linux.misc Matthew Lincoln <kmlincoln100(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for this newbie question:
>
> at is the difference between "su" and "sudo" command ?

Since you are a newbie, you're likely coming from Windows
in which case "sudo" is roughly equiavlent to "runas"
whereas "su" is cloase to "runas cmd". "sudo" executes
a single command with elevated permissions, "su" opens a shell
with elevated permissions.

Stan
From: Bryce on
Matthew Lincoln wrote:

> Sorry for this newbie question:
>
> at is the difference between "su" and "sudo" command ?
>
> Matthew

su allows you to become another user during the current
session; i.e., until you enter exit to return to the earlier
user identity.

sudo allows you to execute one command as the named user and
then returns to the original id.

They're used mostly to temporarily become the root
superuser.

Try man su and man sudo for details.

Welcome to linux! There's a big learning curve, but I think
you'll find it worthwhile.

Bryce
From: Randal L. Schwartz on

Matthew> at is the difference between "su" and "sudo" command ?

The simplest difference is that "su" uses the *new* users password, while
"sudo" uses the *original* users password. This alone means that you don't
have to have a shared secret password for root, for example. On some boxes I
administer, root doesn't even *have* a possible password.

I can't remember the last time I invoked su. I use sudo every day though.

<merlyn(a)stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: chdir usage