From: PengYu.UT on
Hi,

I see that some packages are installed in /opt? I am wondering what
'opt' stands for? What packages shall be installed in /opt?

Regards,
Peng
From: Bit Twister on
On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 20:12:34 -0700 (PDT), PengYu.UT(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see that some packages are installed in /opt? I am wondering what
> 'opt' stands for? What packages shall be installed in /opt?

You might want to read http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

If you want to skip ahead. :)
Chapter 35. The LINUX File System Standard

From: Ben Finney on
"PengYu.UT(a)gmail.com" <pengyu.ut(a)gmail.com> writes:

> I see that some packages are installed in /opt? I am wondering what
> 'opt' stands for?

<cynical>
The '/opt/' directory is a general dumping ground for applications
developed from a perspective that, rather than putting files in
predictable standard locations, the filesystem should bend to the will
of the designers of one specific application.
</cynic>

> What packages shall be installed in /opt?

Well, the glib answer to that is “whatever packages the system
administrator allows to install there”.

More pertinently, no application *should* be installed there; instead,
the application should be designed so that it can find its files in the
expected locations around the standard filesystem.

Whatever programs you *do* find there have a poor level of modularity
and decoupling.

--
\ “The most merciful thing in the world… is the inability of the |
`\ human mind to correlate all its contents.” —Howard Philips |
From: Mark Hobley on
PengYu.UT(a)gmail.com <pengyu.ut(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see that some packages are installed in /opt? I am wondering what
> 'opt' stands for? What packages shall be installed in /opt?

It is policy here that the /opt directory contains only applications
that are not required to be installed on a laptop computer. Non-essential
packages, such as games, and applications that can only operate when
connected to a network, such as an irc chat client, may be installed
in a subdirectory of /opt.

The /opt directory is generally provided from a network fileserver and
all machines on the network may share a common /opt.

On laptop computers the /opt directory may not be available, when then
laptop is not on the "home" lan, so anything required to be installed on a
laptop should not go in /opt.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: David W. Hodgins on
On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 23:12:34 -0400, PengYu.UT(a)gmail.com <pengyu.ut(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I see that some packages are installed in /opt? I am wondering what
> 'opt' stands for? What packages shall be installed in /opt?

In general (because it varies from one distribution and package to the
next), /opt is used for packages installed using third party packages.

/usr/local is used for stuff you create yourself.

Regards, Dave Hodgins