From: Ignoramus18921 on
Lots of new pictures here.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Bridgeport-Series-II-Interact-2-CNC-Mill/24-Troyke-Rotary-Table-U12PNC/

This is a servo motor driven rotary table Troyke U12PNC.

I thought that it was a simple servo motor with a tachometer and
encoder on the back. Nothing could be further from the truth. When I
opened it up, the tach was on the back alright, but no encoder.

I took off a box hanging on the front of this contraption and I think
this is where the encoder is. There are two cylinders.

One is called "Electro-craft moving coil tach generator". Part
0100-00-022.

The other is "Summit engineering, Boseman MT. Model 573-211-10, 2500
Hz, rotor 1 phase, stator 2 ph, spec code H.S.C.T., 11BRW-300-70/10."

Does anyone have AN idea just what are they and whether I can use it
as a quadrature encoder.

On the rear of the motor, there is not enoug free hanging shaft to
mount a modern encoder.

My uneducated guess is that it is a "resolver".

Thanks
From: Tim Wescott on
On 08/02/2010 04:50 PM, Ignoramus18921 wrote:
> Lots of new pictures here.
>
> http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Bridgeport-Series-II-Interact-2-CNC-Mill/24-Troyke-Rotary-Table-U12PNC/
>
> This is a servo motor driven rotary table Troyke U12PNC.
>
> I thought that it was a simple servo motor with a tachometer and
> encoder on the back. Nothing could be further from the truth. When I
> opened it up, the tach was on the back alright, but no encoder.
>
> I took off a box hanging on the front of this contraption and I think
> this is where the encoder is. There are two cylinders.
>
> One is called "Electro-craft moving coil tach generator". Part
> 0100-00-022.
>
> The other is "Summit engineering, Boseman MT. Model 573-211-10, 2500
> Hz, rotor 1 phase, stator 2 ph, spec code H.S.C.T., 11BRW-300-70/10."
>
> Does anyone have AN idea just what are they and whether I can use it
> as a quadrature encoder.
>
> On the rear of the motor, there is not enoug free hanging shaft to
> mount a modern encoder.
>
> My uneducated guess is that it is a "resolver".

My educated guess is that it is a resolver. The frequency is right, the
labels on the rotor and stator are right.

Do you have a signal generator and an O-scope? Feed it with 2500Hz to
the rotor, and see if you get 2500Hz out the two stator windings, with a
coupling that depends on the shaft position.

There may be industrial resolver to encoder converters out there -- it
would be something that a machine designer or retrofitter might need.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Ignoramus18921 on
On 2010-08-03, Tim Wescott <tim(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> On 08/02/2010 04:50 PM, Ignoramus18921 wrote:
>> Lots of new pictures here.
>>
>> http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Bridgeport-Series-II-Interact-2-CNC-Mill/24-Troyke-Rotary-Table-U12PNC/
>>
>> This is a servo motor driven rotary table Troyke U12PNC.
>>
>> I thought that it was a simple servo motor with a tachometer and
>> encoder on the back. Nothing could be further from the truth. When I
>> opened it up, the tach was on the back alright, but no encoder.
>>
>> I took off a box hanging on the front of this contraption and I think
>> this is where the encoder is. There are two cylinders.
>>
>> One is called "Electro-craft moving coil tach generator". Part
>> 0100-00-022.
>>
>> The other is "Summit engineering, Boseman MT. Model 573-211-10, 2500
>> Hz, rotor 1 phase, stator 2 ph, spec code H.S.C.T., 11BRW-300-70/10."
>>
>> Does anyone have AN idea just what are they and whether I can use it
>> as a quadrature encoder.
>>
>> On the rear of the motor, there is not enoug free hanging shaft to
>> mount a modern encoder.
>>
>> My uneducated guess is that it is a "resolver".
>
> My educated guess is that it is a resolver. The frequency is right, the
> labels on the rotor and stator are right.
>
> Do you have a signal generator and an O-scope? Feed it with 2500Hz to
> the rotor, and see if you get 2500Hz out the two stator windings, with a
> coupling that depends on the shaft position.
>
> There may be industrial resolver to encoder converters out there -- it
> would be something that a machine designer or retrofitter might need.

There are some converters out there, Jon has one for sale too.

Tim, how much angular accuracy could I get from this resolver, in
pulses per revolution?

If this is too complicated, I may just look for the right sized modern
servo motor on ebay.

From: Ignoramus18921 on

>On 2010-08-03, Ignoramus18921 <ignoramus18921(a)NOSPAM.18921.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-08-03, Tim Wescott <tim(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:
>> On 08/02/2010 04:50 PM, Ignoramus18921 wrote:
>>> Lots of new pictures here.
>>>
>>> http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Bridgeport-Series-II-Interact-2-CNC-Mill/24-Troyke-Rotary-Table-U12PNC/
>>>
>>> This is a servo motor driven rotary table Troyke U12PNC.
>>>
>>> I thought that it was a simple servo motor with a tachometer and
>>> encoder on the back. Nothing could be further from the truth. When I
>>> opened it up, the tach was on the back alright, but no encoder.
>>>
>>> I took off a box hanging on the front of this contraption and I think
>>> this is where the encoder is. There are two cylinders.
>>>
>>> One is called "Electro-craft moving coil tach generator". Part
>>> 0100-00-022.
>>>
>>> The other is "Summit engineering, Boseman MT. Model 573-211-10, 2500
>>> Hz, rotor 1 phase, stator 2 ph, spec code H.S.C.T., 11BRW-300-70/10."
>>>
>>> Does anyone have AN idea just what are they and whether I can use it
>>> as a quadrature encoder.
>>>
>>> On the rear of the motor, there is not enoug free hanging shaft to
>>> mount a modern encoder.
>>>
>>> My uneducated guess is that it is a "resolver".
>>
>> My educated guess is that it is a resolver. The frequency is right, the
>> labels on the rotor and stator are right.
>>
>> Do you have a signal generator and an O-scope? Feed it with 2500Hz to
>> the rotor, and see if you get 2500Hz out the two stator windings, with a
>> coupling that depends on the shaft position.
>>
>> There may be industrial resolver to encoder converters out there -- it
>> would be something that a machine designer or retrofitter might need.
>>

> There are some converters out there, Jon has one for sale too.
>
> Tim, how much angular accuracy could I get from this resolver, in
> pulses per revolution?
>
> If this is too complicated, I may just look for the right sized modern
> servo motor on ebay.

I forgot to add, or make a shaft adaptor if it is at all possible, and
mount an encoder.

From: Bill Noble on

"Ignoramus18921" <ignoramus18921(a)NOSPAM.18921.invalid> wrote in message
> Lots of new pictures here.
>
> http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Bridgeport-Series-II-Interact-2-CNC-Mill/24-Troyke-Rotary-Table-U12PNC/
>

> Does anyone have AN idea just what are they and whether I can use it
> as a quadrature encoder.

yes. And No