From: Georg Bauhaus on
On 30.07.10 16:28, Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> I personally think mentioning CVS as a contender in 2010 is a blasphemy
> :)

Carrying this further off topic, is anyone working
on the definition a protocol that facilitates data
exchange between VCSs?
From: Pascal Obry on
Ludovic,

> Personally, I do not find git easy at all. Monotone is much easier to
> understand and use IMHO. The sheer number of commands and options in
> git is daunting; there are redundancies, overlaps and idiosyncrasies in
> this command set (e.g. does anyone on comp.lang.ada understand the
> subtle difference between git-merge-base and git-show-branch
> --merge-base ?)

No, but you don't need to call those commands directly. I've never used
them and I do branching/merging a lot :) There is two set of commands in
Git. The "user" oriented ones are described by:

$ git

Others may be useful for building high level script to fit your needs.

Pascal.

--| Pascal Obry Team-Ada Member
--| http://www.obry.net - http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|

From: Pascal Obry on
Le 30/07/2010 04:27, deadlyhead a �crit :
> And those who like Git: Fast, cheap and easy... for some reason that
> seems _very_ Linus Torvalds-ish. :-) Still, Perl scripts
> intermingled with C? Perhaps I just need to get over that. I'll read
> over the Why Git is Better... site. It _does_ seem easy to try out.
> Perhaps I'll be able to look the other way when it comes to
> aesthetics.

Only git-svn is in perl at the moment. The rest is pure C and some
scripts. During the past years many scripts have been rewritten in plain
C for performance reasons.

From: Pascal Obry on

Ludovic,

> I personally think mentioning CVS as a contender in 2010 is a blasphemy
> :)

Fully agree, and I know many projects still using CVS and having many
problems because of it (merging is a mess) but yet don't want to switch
to something else :(

But at this point I refuse to work for any project using CVS.

From: Pascal Obry on
Georg,

> Carrying this further off topic, is anyone working
> on the definition a protocol that facilitates data
> exchange between VCSs?

Yes, this is on the road. It is called fast-export and fast-import. Many
DVCS are proposing tools to do both.