From: Arfa Daily on
Today, I had occasion to look at a set top box for cable TV service. It's a
HDD recorder as well, employing what seems to be a standard computer disc
drive. When I came to screw the lid back on, I noticed on the back panel,
the words "Class 1 LED Product". What on earth do they mean by that ? I've
seen similar statements for laser-based products such as CD players or DVD
players / recorders, but in those cases, it is a warning. I'm not even sure
that this unit has any LEDs in it, so in this case, does the word "LED"
refer to something else ? What are Samsung (the makers of this box) trying
to tell (warn??) us of here ... ?

Arfa

From: Phil Allison on

"Arfa Daily"

> Today, I had occasion to look at a set top box for cable TV service. It's
> a HDD recorder as well, employing what seems to be a standard computer
> disc drive. When I came to screw the lid back on, I noticed on the back
> panel, the words "Class 1 LED Product". What on earth do they mean by that
> ?

** Means inherently safe in normal use.

> I've seen similar statements for laser-based products such as CD players
> or DVD players / recorders, but in those cases, it is a warning.

** No, class 1 LASER products are inherently safe in normal use too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety#Class_1

BTW:

The Sony CDP101 was described in the manual as having a class IIIb laser.

> I'm not even sure that this unit has any LEDs in it,

** What about the remote ??

..... Phil

From: PeterD on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:34:01 +1000, "Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au>
wrote:

>"Arfa Daily"
>>
>> Today, I had occasion to look at a set top box for cable TV service. It's
>> a HDD recorder as well, employing what seems to be a standard computer
>> disc drive. When I came to screw the lid back on, I noticed on the back
>> panel, the words "Class 1 LED Product". What on earth do they mean by that
>> ?
>
>** Means inherently safe in normal use.
>
>> I've seen similar statements for laser-based products such as CD players
>> or DVD players / recorders, but in those cases, it is a warning.
>
>** No, class 1 LASER products are inherently safe in normal use too.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety#Class_1
>
>BTW:
>
>The Sony CDP101 was described in the manual as having a class IIIb laser.

Could it be compatible with fiber cable, bi-directional (and therefore
have a LED (laser)?
From: Mark Zacharias on
"Arfa Daily" <arfa.daily(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Today, I had occasion to look at a set top box for cable TV service. It's
> a HDD recorder as well, employing what seems to be a standard computer
> disc drive. When I came to screw the lid back on, I noticed on the back
> panel, the words "Class 1 LED Product". What on earth do they mean by that
> ? I've seen similar statements for laser-based products such as CD players
> or DVD players / recorders, but in those cases, it is a warning. I'm not
> even sure that this unit has any LEDs in it, so in this case, does the
> word "LED" refer to something else ? What are Samsung (the makers of this
> box) trying to tell (warn??) us of here ... ?
>
> Arfa

I think it's just a rewording of the old "Class 1 Laser" warning, with the
laser diode being the LED here. Probably a more accurate description,
really...

Mark Z.

From: Phil Allison on

"Arfa Daily"

> Today, I had occasion to look at a set top box for cable TV service.

> I'm not even sure that this unit has any LEDs in it,

** Hard to believe there is not even one indicator LED.

..... Phil