From: Tony Arcieri on

I've used ad hoc stuff for packaging most of my gems. Long ago there was
hoe... is that still relevant?

In this age of Gemcutter, what should I be using to generate my
gemspecs/build my gems/etc?

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh/Nagravision

From: Luis Lavena on
On Nov 28, 7:25 pm, Tony Arcieri <t...(a)medioh.com> wrote:
> [Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>
> I've used ad hoc stuff for packaging most of my gems.  Long ago there was
> hoe... is that still relevant?
>
> In this age of Gemcutter, what should I be using to generate my
> gemspecs/build my gems/etc?

Bones, Jeweler and soon and updated version of Hoe for gemcutter's
push command instead of RubyForge usage.
(in no particular or preferred order)

--
Luis Lavena
From: Roger Pack on
> In this age of Gemcutter, what should I be using to generate my
> gemspecs/build my gems/etc?

jeweler is what I'm using these days.

-r

From: James Edward Gray II on
On Nov 28, 2009, at 10:42 PM, Roger Pack wrote:

>> In this age of Gemcutter, what should I be using to generate my
>> gemspecs/build my gems/etc?
>
> jeweler is what I'm using these days.

I've seen several uses of it now and it always strikes me that it's just about the same size as a traditional gem specification. Which problem were we trying to solve with all of these fancy packagers again? :)

I'm mostly kidding here. Everyone should use whatever they like, of course.

James Edward Gray II
From: Rick DeNatale on
On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:14 AM, James Edward Gray II
<james(a)graysoftinc.com> wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2009, at 10:42 PM, Roger Pack wrote:
>
>>> In this age of Gemcutter, what should I be using to generate my
>>> gemspecs/build my gems/etc?
>>
>> jeweler is what I'm using these days.
>
> I've seen several uses of it now and it always strikes me that it's just about the same size as a traditional gem specification.  Which problem were we trying to solve with all of these fancy packagers again?  :)
>
> I'm mostly kidding here.  Everyone should use whatever they like, of course.

All kidding aside, the main advantage of using any of these tools is
getting some rake tasks to help with the workflow of maintaining and
publishing gems.

I've been using Dr. Nic's newgem which is based on hoe, and adds
things like maintaining a rubyforge web site. I'm considering
switching to using jeweler though.

--
Rick DeNatale

 |  Next  |  Last