From: GrampaJoe on
I am confused as to the release of SQL Server 2008 R2. Is this the
supposed SQL Server 2010 release? or some sort of stop gap release?
What's the next planned release, SQL Server 2011, or 2012 or....?

any advise would be great.

thanks,
GrampaJoe
From: Tom Cooper on
When it comes to confidential information about unannounced Microsoft
release dates, there are two types of people. Those who don't know and can
only make (possibly educated) guesses (like me) and people who have access
to the confidential information and are not allowed to tell you.

The next release of SQL Server is code named "Denali". That has been
publicly announced by Microsoft. Not much else has been released. My guess
is it will be released in 2011. You may see early CTP (community test
previews) released in 2010. If you are looking for information on Denali
with a google or bing search, be aware that Microsoft has used the codename
Denali before (for a release of Active Server Pages (ASP)), so don't be
surprised if your search finds lots of pages on ASP and very few on SQL
Server.

Tom

From: GrampaJoe on
Thank you Tom
From: Wojciech Garwol on
SQL 2008 R2 seems to be a "paralell" release to SQL 2008. The 2 releases have
some differences in features supported (e.g. max memory supported per edition
(SQL 2008 gives more), backup compression per edition (SQL 2008 R2 gives
more)), and they are both supported by MS in mainstream support equally long.

Regards, Wojciech Garwol