From: DaveC on
A full-wave rectified 32vac voltage without filtering or smoothing
components. Just a bridge rectifier connected across a transformer 32v
secondary (no center taps) without a load connected to the output of the
bridge.

What will my DMM read if it's in DCV mode when connected to this output?

Thanks,
Dave

From: Jasen Betts on
On 2009-12-16, DaveC <invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:
> A full-wave rectified 32vac voltage without filtering or smoothing
> components. Just a bridge rectifier connected across a transformer 32v
> secondary (no center taps) without a load connected to the output of the
> bridge.
>
> What will my DMM read if it's in DCV mode when connected to this output?

with no capacitors and a cheap average-reading DMM about 28V

From: Phil Allison on

"Jasen Betts"
DaveC

>> A full-wave rectified 32vac voltage without filtering or smoothing
>> components. Just a bridge rectifier connected across a transformer 32v
>> secondary (no center taps) without a load connected to the output of the
>> bridge.
>>
>> What will my DMM read if it's in DCV mode when connected to this output?
>
> with no capacitors and a cheap average-reading DMM about 28V

** So more expensive DMMs read *OTHER* than average values on their DC
volts ranges??

Do tell.

..... Phil

From: John Fields on
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 00:59:02 +1100, "Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au>
wrote:

>"Jasen Betts"
> DaveC
>>
>>> A full-wave rectified 32vac voltage without filtering or smoothing
>>> components. Just a bridge rectifier connected across a transformer 32v
>>> secondary (no center taps) without a load connected to the output of the
>>> bridge.
>>>
>>> What will my DMM read if it's in DCV mode when connected to this output?
>>
>> with no capacitors and a cheap average-reading DMM about 28V
>

>** So more expensive DMMs read *OTHER* than average values on their DC
>volts ranges??
>
> Do tell.

---
Funny! ;)

JF
From: DaveC on
> with no capacitors and a cheap average-reading DMM about 28V

If a good "True RMS" DMM is used, will the reading be different?

And can you help "teach me to fish" (show me the math)?

Thanks,
Dave