From: Mark Hobley on
Karsten Kruse <tecneeq(a)tecneeq.de> wrote:
> Eze schrieb:
> You could name your tar archives like that:
>
> full_backup_friday.tar
> incremental_backup_monday.tar
> incremental_backup_tuesday.tar
> incremental_backup_wednesday.tar
> incremental_backup_thursday.tar
>
> That's kind of hard to do with cp. So it's about organisation of your
> backups.

You could still have untarred backup disks and label the disks as:

full_backup_friday
incremental_backup_monday
incremental_backup_tuesday
incremental_backup_wednesday
incremental_backup_thursday

> Tar also has many options to choose, it can verify the archive with the
> disk content, cp can't do that. It can save space with sparse files, it
> works remote via rsh. It can also compress while archiving, unlike cp.

You could also do all of the above with a copy utility (albeit you may have to
write one).

In fact, when I backup to CDR media, I tend not to create a tarball, but write
the untarred content straight to the .iso image. I wonder how many other
people do this.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Younes Zouhair on
On 01/02/2010 02:40 AM, Seebs wrote:
> On 2010-01-02, Younes Zouhair<poboxy(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> You shouldn't care about what Sidney Lambe, he's just an ignorant troll.
>> Most of the time he doesn't know what he's talking about.
>
> I object strongly to this characterization, on two grounds.
>
> The first is that to be that consistently wrong, I think he'd actually
> have to know a fair amount.
>
> The second is that I think that the more conventional sorts of trolls are
> going to view this as defamatory.
>
> -s

Duly noted!
From: Eze on
Thanks to all for the answers and the practical advice regarding
Usenet. (I promise I'll follow it!)
From: jellybean stonerfish on
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:20:46 -0800, Eze wrote:

>> If you'd just _try_ both methods, you'd soon learn the answer to your
>> question.
>
> I did try, successfully. In fact, lumping many files into one can easily
> take you to >4GB, which makes it hard to use the rather common FAT32
> filesystem for external drives, while this is not an issue as long as
> your individual files don't go over that limit. I know unix experts
> would not use FAT32 at all, but so far I can only see disadvantages.
> However, the popularity of tar tells me I'm missing something.

For added confusion, you could pipe the output of "tar" through "spit"
to break up a huge archive into SIZE sized pieces.

tar -cz DIR/TO/SAVE | split -b $SIZE - dir.tar
From: John Koy on
Don't mind the term "tape", it is about archiving.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archive_file
But for small backup tasks, you're right. Now (Gnu) cp command has
several backup related options, I use cp with them for personal backups.
The forum post you cite is almost 5 years old, not a current reference.

Eze wrote:
> I see the point of using tar in order to, say, send a whole directory
> as a single attachment file. I realize historically this "tape
> archive" utility may have been needed for some technical reasons. But
> I don't see the advantages of using tar to back up some files and copy
> them to some external storage device. Couldn't you just cp? The files
> would already been untarred...
>
> I bring this up because it has been winner or runner-up of the Linux
> Journal Readers' Choice Awards as Favorite Backup Utility for several
> years. It is also recommended as a "quick and dirty" backup tool at
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/articles/Jeremys_Magazine_Articles/Quick_and_Dirty_Backups.
>
> Would someone care to shed some light?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eze