From: Wietse Venema on
sean darcy:
> Wietse Venema wrote:
> > sean darcy:

> >> It doesn't seem to need to match. But reading TLS_README realllly
> >> closely solved it.
> >>
> >> Counter-intuitively -at least for me - you set up all the files for
> >> smtpd_tls... That is, you set them up as if you're a server.
> >
> > That configures the certificates for the Postfix SMTP server.
> >
> > You won't be using any certificates in the SMTP client.
> >
> > Wietse
> >
> Right, which is puzzling. I would have assumed I was the client to the
> gmail server. Why setting the certificates up as a server works makes no
> sense to me, but it does work.

You can delete all the SERVER TLS settings.

They have no effect on SENDING mail, period.

Wietse
From: sean darcy on
Wietse Venema wrote:
> sean darcy:
>> Wietse Venema wrote:
>>> sean darcy:

>>> That configures the certificates for the Postfix SMTP server.
>>>
>>> You won't be using any certificates in the SMTP client.
>>>
>>> Wietse
>>>
>> Right, which is puzzling. I would have assumed I was the client to the
>> gmail server. Why setting the certificates up as a server works makes no
>> sense to me, but it does work.
>
> You can delete all the SERVER TLS settings.
>
> They have no effect on SENDING mail, period.
>
> Wietse

Wow. You're absolutely right. Here's main.cf:

relayhost = [smtp.gmail.com]:587
smtp_connection_cache_destinations = smtp.gmail.com
smtp_sasl_auth_enable=yes
smtp_sasl_tls_security_options = noanonymous
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
smtp_tls_CAfile=/etc/pki/CA/cacert.pem
smtp_tls_security_level = may
smtp_tls_scert_verifydepth = 9

This is way simpler than any of the howto's for gmail relay access. Or
the TLS_README.

It's weird how everyone make this so complicated.

sean

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 09:11:43PM -0400, sean darcy wrote:

> This is way simpler than any of the howto's for gmail relay access. Or the
> TLS_README.
>
> It's weird how everyone make this so complicated.

Which part of TLS_README led you astray? In the section on client certificates:

http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#client_cert_key

the first paragraph, reads:

Do not configure Postfix SMTP client certificates unless you must present
client TLS certificates to one or more servers. Client certificates are
not usually needed, and can cause problems in configurations that work
well without them. The recommended setting is to let the defaults stand:

smtp_tls_cert_file =
smtp_tls_dcert_file =
smtp_tls_key_file =
smtp_tls_dkey_file =
# Postfix >= 2.6
smtp_tls_eccert_file =
smtp_tls_eckey_file =

The best way to use the default settings is to comment out the above
parameters in main.cf if present.

I thought this would serve the intended goal of helping people to avoid
unnecessary SMTP client certificates.

--
Viktor.

From: sean darcy on
Victor Duchovni wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 09:11:43PM -0400, sean darcy wrote:
>
>> This is way simpler than any of the howto's for gmail relay access. Or the
>> TLS_README.
>>
>> It's weird how everyone make this so complicated.
>
> Which part of TLS_README led you astray? In the section on client certificates:
>
> http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#client_cert_key
>
> the first paragraph, reads:
>
> Do not configure Postfix SMTP client certificates unless you must present
> client TLS certificates to one or more servers. Client certificates are
> not usually needed, and can cause problems in configurations that work
> well without them. The recommended setting is to let the defaults stand:
>
> smtp_tls_cert_file =
> smtp_tls_dcert_file =
> smtp_tls_key_file =
> smtp_tls_dkey_file =
> # Postfix >= 2.6
> smtp_tls_eccert_file =
> smtp_tls_eckey_file =
>
> The best way to use the default settings is to comment out the above
> parameters in main.cf if present.
>
> I thought this would serve the intended goal of helping people to avoid
> unnecessary SMTP client certificates.

I was lead astray by various howto's on how to setup the google relay.
All the ones I saw included setting up the client TLS certificates.
Therefore I assumed they must be presented. Not so.

sean