From: Dan Dan the OTTR Man on
I may have an opportunity to do some freelance work on an Access db.
Has anyone here done this before? I'm wondering what I should charge
for the service. Do I charge by the hour or by the project? Any
advice is appreciated.
From: Jeff Boyce on
What's the going rate in your area?

Does your customer have access to and/or the stomach to seek out off-shore
resources?

Can you point to/demo a history of doing what your customer is seeking?

What level of experience/expertise are you bringing?

If you decide to bid this as a fix-price job, be aware that the
user/customer rarely identifies (or even knows) what s/he wants ... be sure
to include a cushion for yourself when s/he says "oh by the way..."

If you bid this on an hourly basis, are your hours any better/worse than
your potential competitors (that is, can you get it done in fewer hours ...
assuming you already know exactly what's to be done <g>).

A third approach is to offer an hourly rate and a series of successive
approximations. By chunking the job into smaller pieces, and offering
something of value to the customer at the end of each chunk, the customer
has something s/he can use and you get paid. And you both get to decide
whether to take on the next chunk.

Good luck

(and in case I didn't make it clear, my answer is "it depends...<g>" -- too
many factors to offer a pat answer).

--

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in
this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does
not constitute endorsement thereof.

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

From: Dan Dan the OTTR Man on
On Feb 12, 8:35 am, "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce...(a)msn.com-DISCARD-HYPHEN-
TO-END> wrote:
> What's the going rate in your area?
>
> Does your customer have access to and/or the stomach to seek out off-shore
> resources?
>
> Can you point to/demo a history of doing what your customer is seeking?
>
> What level of experience/expertise are you bringing?
>
> If you decide to bid this as a fix-price job, be aware that the
> user/customer rarely identifies (or even knows) what s/he wants ... be sure
> to include a cushion for yourself when s/he says "oh by the way..."
>
> If you bid this on an hourly basis, are your hours any better/worse than
> your potential competitors (that is, can you get it done in fewer hours ....
> assuming you already know exactly what's to be done <g>).
>
> A third approach is to offer an hourly rate and a series of successive
> approximations.  By chunking the job into smaller pieces, and offering
> something of value to the customer at the end of each chunk, the customer
> has something s/he can use and you get paid.  And you both get to decide
> whether to take on the next chunk.
>
> Good luck
>
> (and in case I didn't make it clear, my answer is "it depends...<g>" -- too
> many factors to offer a pat answer).
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in
> this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does
> not constitute endorsement thereof.

> guarantee as to suitability.

> possible/necessary.
>
> "Dan Dan the OTTR Man" <maxwell....(a)gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:deccfd14-bdf1-4ba9-9940-618a4e40d204(a)o3g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...
>

> >I may have an opportunity to do some freelance work on an Access db.
> > Has anyone here done this before?  I'm wondering what I should charge
> > for the service.  Do I charge by the hour or by the project?  Any
> > advice is appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the advice!
From: John Spencer on
1) Charge by the hour. The only time to charge by the project is if you have
a very detailed specification of what is wanted and you can make a good
estimate based on the specification of how long the job will take. Even then
you are at risk if you guess wrong, the customer wants to amend the
specification but not change the cost.

2) What hourly rate depends on a number of factors.
-- What is your skill level? I am expensive by the hour, but I can sometimes
do in 30 minutes what someone else will take 8 hours to do.
-- How badly do you want the job?
-- What is the approximate range of rates in your locale?

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

From: Jerry Whittle on
After having to learn the lesson the hard way, I agree to work by the hour.

Assuming that you are in the USA, you will probably be working as a 1099
Independent Contractor. They will give you a 1099 tax form, probably at the
end of the year. YOU will have to pay all the taxes on your wages. That could
mean that the money actually staying in your pocket could be as little as
half of what you charge. You also want to make quarterly payments to the IRS
or you could have a very sad surprise come April 15th, 2011.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP