From: Benedolfus on
Op 09-08-10 00:06, Bear Bottoms schreef:

> My man, don't you have the program stealer Wine?

Don't know of such program stealer, but could you answer the question,
does it run under Linux?

From: Benedolfus on
Op 09-08-10 02:02, Bear Bottoms schreef:

> So you are accusing Matt to be a thief? I see a difference when someone
> develops a program for an operating system, and someone who develops a
> program to run another operating systems software. So you are saying Wine
> is the thief!

What would you consider VMware to be?

From: za kAT on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 00:19:41 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

>> What would you consider VMware to be?
>>
> If it is anything like Wine...I would say ditto.

I'd say tomato

> I don't use VMware and
> for your information, MS didn't write it to my knowledge.

Such wisdom and such

> Wine is written by and supported by the developers of the Linux OS.

For your information <fanfare>

"Approximately half of Wine's source code is written by volunteers. The
rest is sponsored by commercial interests, especially Codeweavers who sell
a supported version of Wine."

--
zakAT(a)pooh.the.cat - Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416.
Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for denigration!
From: B℮ar Bottoms on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 01:32:46 +0100, za kAT wrote:
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 00:19:41 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

>> Wine is written by and supported by the developers of the Linux OS.
>
> For your information <fanfare>
>
> "Approximately half of Wine's source code is written by volunteers. The
> rest is sponsored by commercial interests, especially Codeweavers who sell
> a supported version of Wine."

Drat, and double drat. I'm wrong, wrong, wrong... again <sigh>

--
B℮ar Bottoms
Proud p0wner of Googleware
From: B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson on
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 22:06:24 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

[Wintestgear: MSSQL.SchemaDiff, MSSQL.DataMask, FileTouch, TCMLite]

To answer the question in the subject of your OP: Apart from FileTouch,
which is available in uncountable flavors, already, and can be put to
use for file date/time modification by any computer user, the other
programs are specialized tools for database admins (the MSSQL* ones)
and programmers (test case manager lite). If you don't know, how to
use them, you probably don't need them.

I've been using a couple of Wintestgear programs for years as needed.
(Most of them can be found in the "Retired" section.) They are useful
and fulfill their tasks without much distraction.

TCMLite I considered for a project a couple of years ago, but settled
with a self-written solution.

>> Do they run on Linux?
>
> My man, don't you have the program stealer Wine?

Old wrong, derogatory denotations don't become right, eventually. We went
through this, before:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/b350ee87e100b476

| On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:24:14 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:
[...]
| > If Linux wants to develop a software stealing program like Wine, to run
| > another operating systems software, they should inform users that it is
| > potentially stealing and they should check the requirements from the
| > developer. I would think Linux would be best served using software that
| > was developed for Linux, not steal software from other operating systems.
|
| In addition to direct re-compilation, use of pre-build libraries or
| subsystems like MingW and Cygwin, which have been available for years to
| enable *nix programs running on Windows, there has been a Posix layer
| provided by MS for this task for all NT based OS versions. First as part
| of the OS (Microsoft POSIX subsystem), later on as separate download
| (Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX).
|
| The usage of the term "stealing" in this context is some kind of wicked
| propaganda, I wouldn't even expect from MS. Cross-system portability is
| a natural development. Applications are written to fulfill certain tasks.
| Operating systems are written to provide the environment for Applications
| to run. If both layers don't fit together, either one ore both are
| adjusted, until everything works well. Or another layer (maybe from third
| party programmers) will be inserted to enable correct interoperability.
|
| > If a software developer develops a software for multiple operating
| > systems, fine, multiple operating systems can use it.
|
| If you take this further, every programmer would have to write an own
| /complete/ set of libraries. Or maybe even an own OS version...
|
| Applications are written to fulfill tasks. One user gets the work done,
| running a program on Windows. Another uses Linux and Wine as environment.
| (Or uses a native Linux program, that a third user runs with CygWin in
| Windows...)

BeAr
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Kubuntu
Next: HTML5 Browser tests