From: tshad on

"Karl Mitschke" <karlmitschke(a)somestate.gov> wrote in message
> Hello HP,
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> But what will be the news server name for this?
>> eg. before we use msnews.microsoft.com & now?
>> "Martin Honnen" <mahotrash(a)yahoo.de> wrote in message

>>> Gone, see
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Martin Honnen --- MVP Data Platform Development
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/
>
> Tom;
>
> You can use news.eternal-september.org
>
> It's free, but you have to sign up.

Do I do that the same was as I do with MS newsgroups and my IE Express?

Are all the newsgroups there?

Thanks,

Tom

From: tshad on

"Martin Honnen" <mahotrash(a)yahoo.de> wrote in message
> tshad wrote:
>> Where all the newsgroups????
>
> Gone, see http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx.

I looked there and can't find the sql server programmers newsgroups.

I also don't like the setup much. I would like to sort by author but there
doesn't seem to be there.

I also only need about 7 newsgroups - can't see how to only see those.

Tom

From: Mr. Arnold on
On 9/21/2010 4:54 AM, tshad wrote:
> Where all the newsgroups????
>
> This is about the only newsgroup on msnews.microsoft.com.
>
> All the newsgroups I used to use seem to have disappeared. I used to use
> newsgroups for sqlserver, vc for asp.net, vb for asp.net and xp general.
>
> They show up in the list of newsgroups but as soon as it tries to access
> them, the reader says they don't exist and then they disappear.
>
> Tom

MS servers dropped NNTP from its servers, and now you must use the MS
NNTP Bridge application (free) to get to its forums if you want to
access the MS forums with a Usenet reader or use you use a browser to
access to the MS forums.

The newsgroups you talk about are still there, with very little traffic
in them, other than C#.general, on other NNTP servers, like the ones
below or the NNTP server I use at Earthlink.

http://www.aioe.org/
http://www.eternal-september.org/

From: Brian Cryer on
"tshad" <tfs(a)dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> Where all the newsgroups????
>
> This is about the only newsgroup on msnews.microsoft.com.
>
> All the newsgroups I used to use seem to have disappeared. I used to use
> newsgroups for sqlserver, vc for asp.net, vb for asp.net and xp general.
>
> They show up in the list of newsgroups but as soon as it tries to access
> them, the reader says they don't exist and then they disappear.

Microsoft have decided to close down their newsgroup server and all the
newsgroups on it, and are encouraging people to use their online forums.
This is a shame because the forums aren't so good.

You can still access all of the microsoft newsgroups if you use a different
newsgroup server - such as eternal-september.org, individual.net,
giganews.com or your own ISP if they provide newsgroup access. The
newsgroups will continue to exist on those other servers, they just won't be
on the microsoft servers. That said, most people seemed to access the
microsoft newsgroups via the microsoft news-server and the number of
visitors to the newsgroups I frequent has dramatically dropped since
microsoft turned them off.

Hope this helps.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

From: Karl Mitschke on
Hello tshad,

> "Karl Mitschke" <karlmitschke(a)somestate.gov> wrote in message
>
>> Hello HP,
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> But what will be the news server name for this?
>>> eg. before we use msnews.microsoft.com & now?
>>> "Martin Honnen" <mahotrash(a)yahoo.de> wrote in message

>> Tom;
>>
>> You can use news.eternal-september.org
>>
>> It's free, but you have to sign up.
>>
> Do I do that the same was as I do with MS newsgroups and my IE
> Express?
>
> Are all the newsgroups there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Tom;

Yes, once you have an account, you setup your newsreader like the Microsoft
settings, except you need to setup login information.