From: John Nagle on
I know that one is supposed to use "make altinstall" to install
versions of Python that won't be the "primary" version. But what
directory names does it use for packages and other support files?
Is this documented somewhere?

I want to make sure that no part of the existing Python installation
on Fedora Core is overwritten by an "altinstall" of 2.6.

John Nagle
From: James Mills on
On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 4:06 PM, John Nagle <nagle(a)animats.com> wrote:
> I know that one is supposed to use "make altinstall" to install
> versions of Python that won't be the "primary" version.  But what
> directory names does it use for packages and other support files?
> Is this documented somewhere?
>
>  I want to make sure that no part of the existing Python installation
> on Fedora Core is overwritten by an "altinstall" of 2.6.

Check the generated Makefile (created by ./configure)

--James
From: casevh on
On May 29, 11:06 pm, John Nagle <na...(a)animats.com> wrote:
>    I know that one is supposed to use "make altinstall" to install
> versions of Python that won't be the "primary" version.  But what
> directory names does it use for packages and other support files?
> Is this documented somewhere?
>
>    I want to make sure that no part of the existing Python installation
> on Fedora Core is overwritten by an "altinstall" of 2.6.
>
>                                 John Nagle

It's placed in the directory specified by --prefix. If --prefix is not
specified, /usr/local is used by default.

casevh