From: Docster on
Can anyone tell me what happened to the selection of news groups e.g.,
Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Word, Power Point, Outlook, etc. for
WinXP?
I just came back to the News.Microsoft.Com and most of what I am use to
seeing is gone.

From: Bruce Hagen on

"Docster" <jimholladay(a)verizon.net> wrote in message

> Can anyone tell me what happened to the selection of news groups e.g.,
> Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Word, Power Point, Outlook, etc. for
> WinXP?
> I just came back to the News.Microsoft.Com and most of what I am use to
> seeing is gone.

They are being removed from the MS servers.

Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Newsgroups removed as of June 1, 2010
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2010/06/05/closin-the-nntp.aspx

You can still access the groups on some non-MS servers such as Eternal
September, but how long the quality of questions and replies lasts is
unknown.

Eternal September
http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html

The replacement forums.