From: Lloyd Parsons on
In article
<michelle-29B05D.14430106082010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.e
xample.com>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> My router is a Time Capsule, and both my Apple TV and iPad 4 are both
> a/b/g/n, with the Apple TV able to connect on the 2.4 and the 5 MHz bands.
>
> How can I tell which connection speed and band each of the devices are
> connected to the Time Capsule with?

How is your TC configured? That is what controls how the others connect
most of the time.

--
Lloyd

From: thepixelfreak on
On 2010-08-06 14:43:01 -0700, Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> said:

> My router is a Time Capsule, and both my Apple TV and iPad 4 are both
> a/b/g/n, with the Apple TV able to connect on the 2.4 and the 5 MHz bands.
>
> How can I tell which connection speed and band each of the devices are
> connected to the Time Capsule with?

If TC is like AirPort Extreme then under Advanced->Logs and
Statistics->Wireless Clients you will see the rate and type of
connection. Not sure if it will show the band.

--

thepixelfreak

From: David Empson on
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> My router is a Time Capsule, and both my Apple TV and iPad 4 are both
> a/b/g/n, with the Apple TV able to connect on the 2.4 and the 5 MHz bands.

iPad 4? Did you mean iPad or iPhone 4?

The iPhone 4 supports 802.11b/g/n on 2.4 GHz, but doesn't support
802.11a/n on 5 GHz.

The iPad supports 802.11a/b/g/n, on 2.4 GHz and/or 5 GHz as appropriate.

> How can I tell which connection speed and band each of the devices are
> connected to the Time Capsule with?

I haven't found a way to display this on the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.

I have an app called WifiTrack which gives some basic information about
visible networks, but I think it got removed from the App Store and I
haven't tried the alternatives. WifiTrack shows the base station MAC
address, channel, signal strenth, a meaningless noise reading and
authentication protocol required.

I don't have an Apple TV so don't know if it has any way of displaying
this information.

Airport Utility can show a list of all clients connected to the base
station, their signal strength and data rate, with a graph showing
changes over time. It doesn't reveal whether it is using 802.11 a, b, g
or n, but does show the options supported by the client, and the data
rate may provide a clue as to the wireless protocol.

In Airport Utilty, open the manual settings for the base station.

Now click on the Base Station menu and choose "Logs and Statistics".
(Another method is to click Advanced in the toolbar, select the "Logging
& Statistics" tab, then click the "Logs and Statistics" button at the
bottom of the tab.)

Now select the Wireless Clients tab.

Signal and Noise figures are in dB (or is it dBm?), as negative values.
The more negative, the weaker the signal. My noise readings always seem
to be around the -95 range, and the greater the separation between the
signal and noise numbers, the better the data rate should be (for a
particular protocol).

However, my Airport Express is showing as an allegedly fixed and very
strong signal, but with a low data rate (it is in an area of poor
coverage), so I'm not entirely convinced that the signal strength
numbers are accurate for other base stations.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: David Empson on
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <2010080616331016807-not(a)dotcom>, thepixelfreak <not(a)dot.com>
> wrote:
>
> > > My router is a Time Capsule, and both my Apple TV and iPad 4 are both
> > > a/b/g/n, with the Apple TV able to connect on the 2.4 and the 5 MHz
> > > bands.
> > >
> > > How can I tell which connection speed and band each of the devices are
> > > connected to the Time Capsule with?
> >
> > If TC is like AirPort Extreme then under Advanced->Logs and
> > Statistics->Wireless Clients you will see the rate and type of
> > connection. Not sure if it will show the band.
>
> Thing is that it doesn't show the type of connection. And I'm not sure
> what Rate actually means.

Maximum data rate for transmitting to or receiving from that client,
based on the signal it is currently getting, in megabits per second.

> It shows the MAC address of the clients, and the following data:
>
> Signal Noise Rate Type
> iPhone 4: -25 -96 39 801.11b/g/n
> Apple TV: -55 -96 130 801.11b/g/n

The iPhone is able to exchange data at 39 Mbps, which could mean it is
using either 802.11g or 802.11n.

The Apple TV is able to exchange data at 130 Mbps, which is definitely
802.11n (802.11g peaks at 54 Mbps).

> The iPhone is about a foot to 18 inches from the base station, and the
> Apple TV is in another room separated by a hallway, maybe 20-30 feet away.

This suggests the iPhone 4 doesn't actually get good throughput on
802.11n.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: John Holt on
On 2010-08-06 20:22:34 -0400, Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> said:

> In article <1jmuqib.st0csm1f4tuf1N%dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz>,
> dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:
>
>>> My router is a Time Capsule, and both my Apple TV and iPad 4 are both
>>> a/b/g/n, with the Apple TV able to connect on the 2.4 and the 5 MHz bands.
>>
>> iPad 4? Did you mean iPad or iPhone 4?
>
> iPhone 4. Sorry.
>
>> Airport Utility can show a list of all clients connected to the base
>> station, their signal strength and data rate, with a graph showing
>> changes over time. It doesn't reveal whether it is using 802.11 a, b, g
>> or n, but does show the options supported by the client...
>
> Yup, I know all that. That's what prompted me to ask; it shows what the
> peripherals are capable of, but not what they're actually doing.

You could measure the performance directly.

For the iPhone, you can use the browser to download a large image.
Enable Web Browsing under sharing, construct a page with an inline
image, and then enter the URL into your browser and time the transfer.
If you are good with script (which I am not), you should be able to
automate the timing.

I am not that familiar with the Apple TV, but there should be something
similar that you could do to send it a nice big file from your system.
Given that there is a way to send the file, you could look at your
network performance display during transmission. Come to think of it,
that would also work for the iPhone and image.

Good luck,

--
John Holt