From: FJG on
As a coder I've usually had custom hardware to work with and
the choice of architecture etc has been cost-driven and set
in stone long before I start trying to debug the board...
but I digress.

I have a potential project coming up, where I may have
some influence on the hardware. The spec is of necessity
still slightly woolly, so my apologies for that in advance.

The basics are
input - RFID tags, info probably read over RS-232
output - solenoids / relays to turn a motor on
I/O - USB memory stick to upload new settings, download reports
control panel - three buttons and possibly a cheap LCD display
optional - WiFi interface
weatherproofed - will operate outdoors, off 12V DC

ROM / RAM / CPU requirements are going to be modest by today's
standards. We're talking about, say, 200 RFID tags to recognise,
each of which has an individual setting for the amount of time
to turn the relay / solenoid on for.

So any suggestions for a single board microcontroller that'd
provide the above at reasonable cost, with the minimum of hassle,
with a (preferably free) C toolchain?

Personally I think the idea of a USB port on an outdoor piece
of equipment is a bit nuts, so any suggested alternatives?
Bluetooth?
From: hamilton on
On 5/4/2010 2:01 PM, FJG wrote:
> As a coder I've usually had custom hardware to work with and
> the choice of architecture etc has been cost-driven and set
> in stone long before I start trying to debug the board...
> but I digress.
>
> I have a potential project coming up, where I may have
> some influence on the hardware. The spec is of necessity
> still slightly woolly, so my apologies for that in advance.
>
> The basics are
> input - RFID tags, info probably read over RS-232
> output - solenoids / relays to turn a motor on
> I/O - USB memory stick to upload new settings, download reports
> control panel - three buttons and possibly a cheap LCD display
> optional - WiFi interface
> weatherproofed - will operate outdoors, off 12V DC
>
> ROM / RAM / CPU requirements are going to be modest by today's
> standards. We're talking about, say, 200 RFID tags to recognise,
> each of which has an individual setting for the amount of time
> to turn the relay / solenoid on for.
>
> So any suggestions for a single board microcontroller that'd
> provide the above at reasonable cost, with the minimum of hassle,
> with a (preferably free) C toolchain?
>
> Personally I think the idea of a USB port on an outdoor piece
> of equipment is a bit nuts, so any suggested alternatives?
> Bluetooth?

USB in any embedded device is a bit nuts, but I digress.

You are not going to find USB master on a poor 8/16-bit micro.

Only 32 bit devices have USB master.

So, if you think your doing to get it cheap........

Everything else is doable with any micro-controller ( or two ).

Google for WinAVR, free tool chain and Atmel AVR family is very robust.

I have done two products with these tools.

hamilton
From: Rob Gaddi on
On 5/4/2010 1:17 PM, hamilton wrote:

> [snip]
>
> You are not going to find USB master on a poor 8/16-bit micro.
>
> Only 32 bit devices have USB master.
>
> So, if you think your doing to get it cheap........
>
> [snip]

You mean like a Cortex-M3 for south of $2, or a Cortex-M0 for south of $1?

--
Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology
Email address is currently out of order
From: linnix on
On May 4, 1:40 pm, Rob Gaddi <rga...(a)technologyhighland.com> wrote:
> On 5/4/2010 1:17 PM, hamilton wrote:
>
>  > [snip]
>  >> You are not going to find USB master on a poor 8/16-bit micro.
>
> > Only 32 bit devices have USB master.
>
> > So, if you think your doing to get it cheap........
>
>  > [snip]
>
> You mean like a Cortex-M3 for south of $2, or a Cortex-M0 for south of $1?

Not with usb host. With host functions, pins and costs go up, not
that they are correlated.

From: Fevric J. Glandules on
hamilton wrote:

<snip>

> Only 32 bit devices have USB master.
>
> So, if you think your doing to get it cheap........

I'm sure 32 bits is fine.

> Everything else is doable with any micro-controller ( or two ).

Sure. What I'm looking for is a module / single-board computer /
whatever you want to call it that will provide as much out of the
box as possible. Even some sort of "hobbyist" kit would be fine
if it provided 12V relays for controlling motors, debounced buttons,
a small LCD output, etc.

E.g. http://rabbit.com/ is under consideration.