From: Roman Rumian on
Hi,

what is your opinion about TDA7801 digital input class D amplifier ?
I want to use it instead of D/A converter plus power amplifier as the
output of my multichannel (8 outputs) DSP system.
Maybe you can suggest another, better device ?

regards

Roman
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Roman Rumian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what is your opinion about TDA7801 digital input class D amplifier ?

TDA7801 is conventional linear amplifier with integrated DAC.

> I want to use it instead of D/A converter plus power amplifier as the
> output of my multichannel (8 outputs) DSP system.

Unipolar 12V power, BTL outputs, very limited power, mediocre
performance, needs MCU to operate, designed for car stereo applications.

> Maybe you can suggest another, better device ?

Define your performance requirements and size/cost constraints.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
From: steveu on

>Roman Rumian wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> what is your opinion about TDA7801 digital input class D amplifier ?
>
>TDA7801 is conventional linear amplifier with integrated DAC.
>
>> I want to use it instead of D/A converter plus power amplifier as the
>> output of my multichannel (8 outputs) DSP system.
>
>Unipolar 12V power, BTL outputs, very limited power, mediocre
>performance, needs MCU to operate, designed for car stereo applications.
>
>> Maybe you can suggest another, better device ?
>
>Define your performance requirements and size/cost constraints.
>

>Vladimir Vassilevsky
>DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
>http://www.abvolt.com

Weird. Why would they merge a DAC into a class AB power amp? As soon as the
device becomes mixed signal, the test cost shoots up.

Steve

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

steveu wrote:

>>Roman Rumian wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>what is your opinion about TDA7801 digital input class D amplifier ?
>>
>>TDA7801 is conventional linear amplifier with integrated DAC.
>>
> Weird. Why would they merge a DAC into a class AB power amp? As soon as the
> device becomes mixed signal, the test cost shoots up.

That IC makes perfect sense for the intended application: build-in car
stereo. No EMC problems, no troublesome interface between power IC and
DAC, industry standard output with diagnostics, minimum external parts.