From: Etal on
Joe User wrote:

> 1. How do I know what program (folder and file name) is
> executed when I click on shortcut?
>
> For some shortcuts, the answer seems self-evident:
> right-click on the shortcut icon, click on Properties, and
> look at Target in the Shortcut tab.
>
> But for other sortcuts, e.g. Excel, the Shortcut tab does not
> tell me anything useful.
>
> I don't know if the shortcuts for Office 2003 (or perhaps all
> MS) products are a special case. Even if they are, I am
> interested in knowing how to find the real "target" for those
> shortcuts, too.
>
> I know that I can search for, e.g., excel.exe. But what if I
> have multiple files with that name on my system, and/or for
> some reason I don't trust my assumptions about which file the
> shortcut is actually linked to?

<sarcasm>
Why keep shortcut-targets transparent to the users?
That's a stupid notion.
</sarcasm>

msKB #243630 - How 'Windows Installer' Shortcuts Work
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814841/>

Remedy: 'GetMSIShortcutTarget' by Ramesh Srinivasan
<http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/>

Thanks Ramesh.

--
Nah-ah. I'm staying out of this. ... Now, here's my opinion.

Please followup in the newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
From: Bobbi on
I remember a long time ago when I first got Office 2003 that the desktop
shortcuts were weird in several respects, that being one of them. Another
was that I couldn't drag and drop a file onto the shortcut and have it open
the document. I replaced them all by finding the location of the executable
file for each Office Application and creating a new shortcut. For Excel, the
executable file is "EXCEL.EXE", for Word it's "WINWORD.EXE", for Publisher
it's "MSPUB.EXE".

You may have to use the Windows Search feature to find the location of the
files in question. You can right click on each file name and choose "Create
shortcut". Windows will tell you it can't create a shortcut in the search
box and ask if you want to create it on the desktop. You can say yes, and
then you'll have better shortcuts with better information.

Bobbi

"Etal" <look(a)sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
> Joe User wrote:
>
>> 1. How do I know what program (folder and file name) is
>> executed when I click on shortcut?
>>
>> For some shortcuts, the answer seems self-evident:
>> right-click on the shortcut icon, click on Properties, and
>> look at Target in the Shortcut tab.
>>
>> But for other sortcuts, e.g. Excel, the Shortcut tab does not
>> tell me anything useful.
>>
>> I don't know if the shortcuts for Office 2003 (or perhaps all
>> MS) products are a special case. Even if they are, I am
>> interested in knowing how to find the real "target" for those
>> shortcuts, too.
>>
>> I know that I can search for, e.g., excel.exe. But what if I
>> have multiple files with that name on my system, and/or for
>> some reason I don't trust my assumptions about which file the
>> shortcut is actually linked to?
>>

> <sarcasm>
> Why keep shortcut-targets transparent to the users?
> That's a stupid notion.
> </sarcasm>
>
> msKB #243630 - How 'Windows Installer' Shortcuts Work
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814841/>
>
> Remedy: 'GetMSIShortcutTarget' by Ramesh Srinivasan
> <http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/>
>
> Thanks Ramesh.
>

> --
> Nah-ah. I'm staying out of this. ... Now, here's my opinion.
>
> Please followup in the newsgroup.
> E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Pages: 1
Prev: partition wizard
Next: What IE with XP Pro SP3??