From: spamlet on
I've been following the thread on hard drive updates as I need to replace
drives on both a laptop - Inspiron 2600 (eide)
- and a desktop pc (sata)

The usb-sata etc adaptor seems a very useful device, but after 'googling'
for them here in the UK I am a bit unsure what to buy. There are many
different ones on offer and a wide range of prices. Also there are warnings
from some users about some of them containing faulty chips that can corrupt
data. The last thing anyone wants in such a device is that kind of
unreliability! Some of the advertisers do specify which chip set is used,
but others do not, so 'buying something similar' to the one quoted in the
other thread is not proving to be as
straight forward as expected.

Does anyone have advice of which models/suppliers are fully reliable and
safe, and available in the UK at a reasonable price?

Thanks,

From: peter on
why would you need one.
I am sure your desktop PC has 2 internal SATA connectors buy a new SATA
drive
hook it up and clone the old drive to the new.
As for the Laptop buy an EIDE drive and an external HD case which connects
the HD internally with EIDE pins but connects to your Laptop externally with
USB.
?????

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: Paul on
spamlet wrote:
> I've been following the thread on hard drive updates as I need to replace
> drives on both a laptop - Inspiron 2600 (eide)
> - and a desktop pc (sata)
>
> The usb-sata etc adaptor seems a very useful device, but after 'googling'
> for them here in the UK I am a bit unsure what to buy. There are many
> different ones on offer and a wide range of prices. Also there are warnings
> from some users about some of them containing faulty chips that can corrupt
> data. The last thing anyone wants in such a device is that kind of
> unreliability! Some of the advertisers do specify which chip set is used,
> but others do not, so 'buying something similar' to the one quoted in the
> other thread is not proving to be as
> straight forward as expected.
>
> Does anyone have advice of which models/suppliers are fully reliable and
> safe, and available in the UK at a reasonable price?
>
> Thanks,

Find a web site with customer reviews. Don't buy the product
unless the reviews are clean and trouble free. If the customer
reviews are OK, then it must be fit for purpose.

For example, reading a few reviews on this one, a common theme
is - "destroyed my hard drive".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102

None of the units seem to be perfect, so select one which doesn't
ruin anything! It seems the quality of the power adapter that comes
with the products, is one issue.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010010353&Subcategory=353&srchInDesc=usb+sata+ide

Paul
From: spamlet on
Hi Peter, thanks for the response.

Yes, those are other ways of doing this, but it does seem that a USB adaptor
that would take the various drives without needing to buy enclosures for
each, would be handy - especially as this would also make cheap offdesk
storage/backup easier.

Do the external EIDE cases have their own power supply?

Getting off topic a bit but as you raised the issue: I'm having trouble
establishing what drives I can actually use. The Dell Laptop Inspiron 2600
(XP Home SP3), is said on a Dell forum to only be capable of recognising
drives up to 80 gig - but I see plenty of bigger ones on offer?

The desktop is also a Dell (Optiplex GX270 XPPro SP3 ) and does seem to
have a sata connector going spare, but again, when I made enquiries on a
Dell forum they also said there were limits to the capacity of drive that
would recognise as well. So I've been a long time getting round to making
the upgrades as there seems to be one view that pretty well anything with
the right connector will work, and another that each computer has its own
limits. It is all rather confusing, so if you have any further experience
to share on this I would be grateful.

Cheers,

From: spamlet on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> spamlet wrote:
>> I've been following the thread on hard drive updates as I need to replace
>> drives on both a laptop - Inspiron 2600 (eide)
>> - and a desktop pc (sata)
>>
>> The usb-sata etc adaptor seems a very useful device, but after 'googling'
>> for them here in the UK I am a bit unsure what to buy. There are many
>> different ones on offer and a wide range of prices. Also there are
>> warnings
>> from some users about some of them containing faulty chips that can
>> corrupt
>> data. The last thing anyone wants in such a device is that kind of
>> unreliability! Some of the advertisers do specify which chip set is
>> used,
>> but others do not, so 'buying something similar' to the one quoted in the
>> other thread is not proving to be as
>> straight forward as expected.
>>
>> Does anyone have advice of which models/suppliers are fully reliable and
>> safe, and available in the UK at a reasonable price?
>>
>> Thanks,

> Find a web site with customer reviews. Don't buy the product
> unless the reviews are clean and trouble free. If the customer
> reviews are OK, then it must be fit for purpose.
>
> For example, reading a few reviews on this one, a common theme
> is - "destroyed my hard drive".
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102
>
> None of the units seem to be perfect, so select one which doesn't
> ruin anything! It seems the quality of the power adapter that comes
> with the products, is one issue.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010010353&Subcategory=353&srchInDesc=usb+sata+ide
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul,

That's pretty well put me off all of them!

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: What is MsXML parser?
Next: Formatting External drive