From: Steve on
Hi,

Sending email with my email server, is there really important to pay and
to be white listed ?
- What is your feedback guys ?

I have some time to time, some emails, staying into the queue... with no
real reasons... recently I read that we were grey listed... After
checking on spamhaus, I am not listed at all ???

What do you think about that ?
Would it better to get regsitered ?
If so, with who ( who seems to be the best ? )

Thanks
From: ska on
Steve wrote:
> Sending email with my email server, is there really important to pay and
> to be white listed ?

To be whitelisted is always a good idea, for example get yourself a
smarthost, e.g. from your ISP, to transmit your mail through.

> real reasons... recently I read that we were grey listed... After

Are you refering to this greylisting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting
?

You write "no real reason"? Where do you get this idea from?

> checking on spamhaus, I am not listed at all ???

Which has nothing to do with greylisting (in the sense mentioned
above).
If you has a dynamically allocated address (DUL), many MTAs reject
your host without authorization right away.

-ska
From: Steve on
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 00:41:50 -0800, ska wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>> Sending email with my email server, is there really important to pay
>> and to be white listed ?
>
> To be whitelisted is always a good idea, for example get yourself a
> smarthost, e.g. from your ISP, to transmit your mail through.
>
>> real reasons... recently I read that we were grey listed... After
>
> Are you refering to this greylisting:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting ?
>
> You write "no real reason"? Where do you get this idea from?
>
>> checking on spamhaus, I am not listed at all ???
>
> Which has nothing to do with greylisting (in the sense mentioned above).
> If you has a dynamically allocated address (DUL), many MTAs reject your
> host without authorization right away.
>
> -ska

Hi,

No, I don't have any dynamic IP Address, and I read this message on
Webmin ( I use webmin to check my mail queue. And this is where I found
that I was greylisted and I was aksed to come back later :-)

OK..I will consider being whitelisted.... Is whitelisted.org a good one ?
( At least not a fake one, pretending whitelisting you and grab your
money... )

Thanks
From: mikea on
Steve <Steve(a)noreply.fr> wrote in <4b054c5d$0$19661$426a34cc(a)news.free.fr>:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 00:41:50 -0800, ska wrote:
>
>> Steve wrote:
>>> Sending email with my email server, is there really important to pay
>>> and to be white listed ?
>>
>> To be whitelisted is always a good idea, for example get yourself a
>> smarthost, e.g. from your ISP, to transmit your mail through.
>>
>>> real reasons... recently I read that we were grey listed... After
>>
>> Are you refering to this greylisting:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting ?
>>
>> You write "no real reason"? Where do you get this idea from?
>>
>>> checking on spamhaus, I am not listed at all ???
>>
>> Which has nothing to do with greylisting (in the sense mentioned above).
>> If you has a dynamically allocated address (DUL), many MTAs reject your
>> host without authorization right away.

> Hi,
>
> No, I don't have any dynamic IP Address, and I read this message on
> Webmin ( I use webmin to check my mail queue. And this is where I found
> that I was greylisted and I was aksed to come back later :-)
>
> OK..I will consider being whitelisted.... Is whitelisted.org a good one ?
> ( At least not a fake one, pretending whitelisting you and grab your
> money... )
>
> Thanks

Greylisting just means telling you to go away and wait a while before
you're allowed to connect.

I run mail filters for a living; I would not consider using any external
whitelist whatsoever, though I do use certain external blacklists.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea(a)mikea.ath.cx
From: Loki Harfagr on
Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:47:09 +0000, Steve did cat :

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 00:41:50 -0800, ska wrote:
>
>> Steve wrote:
>>> Sending email with my email server, is there really important to pay
>>> and to be white listed ?
>>
>> To be whitelisted is always a good idea, for example get yourself a
>> smarthost, e.g. from your ISP, to transmit your mail through.
>>
>>> real reasons... recently I read that we were grey listed... After
>>
>> Are you refering to this greylisting:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting ?
>>
>> You write "no real reason"? Where do you get this idea from?
>>
>>> checking on spamhaus, I am not listed at all ???
>>
>> Which has nothing to do with greylisting (in the sense mentioned
>> above). If you has a dynamically allocated address (DUL), many MTAs
>> reject your host without authorization right away.
>>
>> -ska
>

> Hi,
>
> No, I don't have any dynamic IP Address, and I read this message on
> Webmin ( I use webmin to check my mail queue. And this is where I found
> that I was greylisted and I was aksed to come back later :-)

getting whitelisted on an "ips.whitestuff.wot" won't do much about
greylisting, greylisting (usually) is just based on a local data base
(or akin) and has nothing to do with black or whilte listings :-)

> OK..I will consider being whitelisted.... Is whitelisted.org a good one
> ? ( At least not a fake one, pretending whitelisting you and grab your
> money... )
>
> Thanks

If you really want to use that kind of stuff you probably
may like to ask this question on news.admin.net-abuse.email
where you'll probably get some advice about it by Vernon Schryver
(and Claus von Wolfhausen ,-)

My idea is that, notwithstanding the quality or felony of the
used stuff, the whitelisting will only be effective on relays
that use those references, for instance none of the servers that
I admin use them, and I believe I'm not alone in that case.