From: Nime on
Good question, let me explain:

If you install Windows on SATA, later you cannot turn to RAID (single disk)
or vice versa. On Intel's site:

----------------
If your RAID controller is not enabled, enabling the RAID controller is not recommended or supported when a SATA hard drive is the
boot drive. Enabling the RAID controller may cause an immediate blue screen with an 0x0000007b error code, followed by a reboot. If
you wish to enable it, you will need to reinstall the operating system.
----------------

I can see if at first SATA enabled then turn to RAID, Windows cannot recognize the disks then BSOD occurs.
But why I cannot turn a single disk from RAID to SATA? Strange, the disk is accessable and Windows boots,
starts, it's logo waves, then unexpectedly reboots.

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com>, iletide �unu yazd� news:uKvzMHqmKHA.2188(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

From: DL on
Raid & Sata are two entirely unconnected items of hardware
Not all raid controlers support single disk (jbod)
Raid does not require sata, or vice versa
It depends on the raid controler as to how you configure a sys.

From: Phillip Windell on
"Nime" <eminakbulut(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Good question, let me explain:
>
> If you install Windows on SATA, later you cannot turn to RAID (single
> disk)
> or vice versa. On Intel's site:

The comparison is SATA -vs-- SCSI,....not SATA -vs- RAID

RAID with a single disk,...by definition,...is impossible. The "A" in
RAID,...means "Array",..which by definiton means more than one.

A single disk can only be a "Non-RAID Volume". It can run from a RAID
Controller but the controller will operate as a SCSI Controller or a SATA
Controller,...but not as a RAID Controller,...at least with respect to that
one drive. You can easily mix RAID Volumes and Non-RAID Volumes on the
same Controller on the same BackPlane.

--
Phillip Windell

From: Anteaus on
DOS accesses disk through interrupt 13. This will include any ROM chip on a
RAID card or RAID-enabled mobo, so the process is transparent to DOS, which
thinks it's accessing an ordinary disk no matter what.

Windows, OTOH, uses direct access to the disk-interface hardare. Reason it
does this is that int13 is not particularly fast. Since Windows bypasses any
interface-specific ROMs in so doing, it must be told in literal terms -by
installing a special driver- how to address the RAID array.

The same is also true with SATA, if this is operating in AHCI mode.

Hope this clears things up.

From: Nime on
Thanks Anteaus - and it's Antaeus : ) - that was the expected answer. I wish there was a
way to emulate int 13 in Windows if there is no driver, if the drive is listed in BIOS, DOS, etc,
Windows should use it, no matter how it can.

"Anteaus" <Anteaus(a)discussions.microsoft.com>, iletide şunu yazdı news:53003938-C802-4F3E-A07C-DBC6F4B430DA(a)microsoft.com...