From: Nick Naym on
After logging out/in, I found that my folder icons in the Dock weren't
responding properly: Right clicking on each brought up a truncated list of
choices, and left clicking had no effect whatsoever. After about 5 minutes,
they began to work properly, except for the Applications folder icon -- it
still didn't work.

I rebooted and ran DU (from another drive) to repair permissions and the
disk; then I ran TechTool Pro. Nothing seemed to be amiss. However, after
rebooting, the problem remained. Rebooting yet again produced exactly the
same results.

Ideas?

--
iMac (24", 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320 GB HDD) � OS X (10.5.8)

From: Steve W. Jackson on
In article <C72252AE.4B778%nicknaym@[remove_this].gmail.com>,
Nick Naym <nicknaym@[remove_this].gmail.com> wrote:

> After logging out/in, I found that my folder icons in the Dock weren't
> responding properly: Right clicking on each brought up a truncated list of
> choices, and left clicking had no effect whatsoever. After about 5 minutes,
> they began to work properly, except for the Applications folder icon -- it
> still didn't work.
>
> I rebooted and ran DU (from another drive) to repair permissions and the
> disk; then I ran TechTool Pro. Nothing seemed to be amiss. However, after
> rebooting, the problem remained. Rebooting yet again produced exactly the
> same results.
>
> Ideas?

And have you checked in the Console app after failing to get a response
to see if it's reporting any specific error message?
--
Steve W. Jackson
Montgomery, Alabama
From: Nick Naym on
In article stevewjackson-13C342.07530513112009(a)news.individual.net, Steve W.
Jackson at stevewjackson(a)knology.net wrote on 11/13/09 8:53 AM:

> In article <C72252AE.4B778%nicknaym@[remove_this].gmail.com>,
> Nick Naym <nicknaym@[remove_this].gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> After logging out/in, I found that my folder icons in the Dock weren't
>> responding properly: Right clicking on each brought up a truncated list of
>> choices, and left clicking had no effect whatsoever. After about 5 minutes,
>> they began to work properly, except for the Applications folder icon -- it
>> still didn't work.
>>
>> I rebooted and ran DU (from another drive) to repair permissions and the
>> disk; then I ran TechTool Pro. Nothing seemed to be amiss. However, after
>> rebooting, the problem remained. Rebooting yet again produced exactly the
>> same results.
>>
>> Ideas?
>
> And have you checked in the Console app after failing to get a response
> to see if it's reporting any specific error message?

About a dozen "localhost" messages, such as:

________________________

localhost kernel[0]: npvhash=4095

localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: Please convert the
following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist

localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.distccdConfigd): Unknown key:
SHAuthorizationRight

etc.

________________________

followed by about 50-60 other messages all beginning with "localhost
kernel[0]:", such as

________________________

localhost kernel[0]: Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT
2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386

localhost kernel[0]: AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=0 LocalApicId=0 Enabled

localhost kernel[0]: Security policy loaded: Safety net for Time Machine
(TMSafetyNet)

localhost kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5901 built-in now active,
GUID 001ff3fffe1c6ba0; max speed s800.

localhost kernel[0]: Jettisoning kernel linker.

etc.
________________________

These were followed by a handful of messages containing the word "dock"
(they all contained "com.apple.dock[156]" and 4 of them were identical,
except for their apparent time stamps):

nicks-imac [0x0-0xd00d].com.apple.dock[156]: CPSPostEventRecordTo failed
-600 /Users/Nick/Library/Widgets/Time Machine Buddy.wdgt/

nicks-imac [0x0-0xd00d].com.apple.dock[156]: 2009-11-12 23:18:44.344
DashboardClient[258:10b] _NXMoveWindow: error moving window (1001)

nicks-imac [0x0-0xd00d].com.apple.dock[156]: 2009-11-12 23:18:44.443
DashboardClient[258:10b] _NXMoveWindow: error moving window (1001)

nicks-imac [0x0-0xd00d].com.apple.dock[156]: 2009-11-12 23:19:14.297
DashboardClient[258:10b] _NXMoveWindow: error moving window (1001)

nicks-imac [0x0-0xd00d].com.apple.dock[156]: 2009-11-12 23:19:14.319
DashboardClient[258:10b] _NXMoveWindow: error moving window (1001)

________________________

None of these unusual (to me) "localhost", "localhost kernel[0]:", or
"com.apple.dock[156]" messages had any meaning to me.

--
iMac (24", 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320 GB HDD) � OS X (10.5.8)

From: Lao Ming on
On Nov 12, 9:02 pm, Nick Naym <nicknaym@[remove_this].gmail.com>
wrote:
> After logging out/in, I found that my folder icons in the Dock weren't
> responding properly: Right clicking on each brought up a truncated list of
> choices, and left clicking had no effect whatsoever. After about 5 minutes,
> they began to work properly, except for the Applications folder icon -- it
> still didn't work.
>
> I rebooted and ran DU (from another drive) to repair permissions and the
> disk; then I ran TechTool Pro. Nothing seemed to be amiss. However, after
> rebooting, the problem remained. Rebooting yet again produced exactly the
> same results.
>
> Ideas?

I would first try removing com.apple.dock.plist from your home
directory's Library/Preferences folder. Then go into Terminal and do:

killall Dock

and see if that fixes it. Possibly better than the killall Dock is
to just restart.
From: Nick Naym on
In article
e986f618-6d66-4594-994e-73c590379777(a)f20g2000prn.googlegroups.com, Lao Ming
at laomingliu(a)gmail.com wrote on 11/13/09 4:49 PM:

> On Nov 12, 9:02�pm, Nick Naym <nicknaym@[remove_this].gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> After logging out/in, I found that my folder icons in the Dock weren't
>> responding properly: Right clicking on each brought up a truncated list of
>> choices, and left clicking had no effect whatsoever. After about 5 minutes,
>> they began to work properly, except for the Applications folder icon -- it
>> still didn't work.
>>
>> I rebooted and ran DU (from another drive) to repair permissions and the
>> disk; then I ran TechTool Pro. Nothing seemed to be amiss. However, after
>> rebooting, the problem remained. Rebooting yet again produced exactly the
>> same results.
>>
>> Ideas?
>
> I would first try removing com.apple.dock.plist from your home
> directory's Library/Preferences folder. Then go into Terminal and do:
>
> killall Dock
>
> and see if that fixes it. Possibly better than the killall Dock is
> to just restart.

1. Since my last post, all of the Dock icons now seem to be working -- but
there is a very noticeable delay between my clicking and they responding.

2. If I do remove the plist, that will require that I set up my Dock all
over again, correct? (I don't at all mind doing so if that will fix it...I
just want to feel comfortable that the plist is the most likely culprit,
based on everything I've indicated). However, the "killall Dock" command
seems superfluous, inasmuch as I had already tried rebooting and the problem
still remained (as indicated in my original post, above).

--
iMac (24", 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320 GB HDD) � OS X (10.5.8)