From: MRE on
On 6 Apr., 19:53, Sebastian Hanigk <sebastian.han...(a)fs.tum.de> wrote:
> Warren <ve3...(a)gmail.com> writes:
> > Obviously Fortran persists because of existing code base and
> > those that only "know" that. But egads, the current rendition
> > of Fortran seem to have so many "bags on the side" and is
> > downright "butt ugly".  Why anyone would want to continue
> > to wallow in that swill, is beyond me. Ada as a language OTOH,
> > is so nice and clean by comparison.
>
> I won't even start with your puny attempts at a language crusade,
> suffice to say that all the niceness and cleanness is quite unusable if
> you don't have a compiler. And on most supercomputers where serious
> number crunching is performed, you do not have an Ada compiler and even
> building gnat would be a very major pain (bootstrapping ...).
>
> Regards,
>
> Sebastian

Depends on your cost-model. If your man-hours for writing the code
don't count,
go on with C or Fortran. If they are a factor, maybe it's worth to
spend a couple of thousand
for getting support from a compiler vendor to port GNAT.

Thanks btw. for showing quite clearly, that it's not only the "Ada-
Guys" who are
rude.

Marc
From: Ken Thomas on
I have used Ada for scientific computation for 25 years. It got off to
a bad start because of the high cost of entry. Compilers were £1000+
for one licence (remember dongles).

However, the recent Ada standards (2005) are very attractive. It is
possible to interface software from other languages (MPI, Metis,
UMFPACK) and the tool from gnat g++ -c -fdump-ada-spec ... is quite
exciting. The containers are also useful. I have used an instaniation
of Ada.Containers.Ordered_Maps to contain sparse matrices.

Some of the applications are finite element software for Maxwell's
equations.
From: Warren on
Ken Thomas expounded in news:3bf0eb74-306c-48c4-b5ab-
858d88b4079d(a)s9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

> However, the recent Ada standards (2005) are very attractive. It is
> possible to interface software from other languages (MPI, Metis,
> UMFPACK) and the tool from gnat g++ -c -fdump-ada-spec ... is quite
> exciting. The containers are also useful. I have used an instaniation
> of Ada.Containers.Ordered_Maps to contain sparse matrices.

Speaking of 2005, I wouldn't mind acquiring a book on
the essential elements of the 2005 features in Ada,
without trudging through dry RM type prose. However,
it seems that these new books are quite pricey,
even used. Normally I can find a suitable deal on
abebooks.com, but have come up empty so far.

There must be a digestable summary on the net somewhere.
Resources?

Warren
From: Georg Bauhaus on
On 4/8/10 6:40 PM, Warren wrote:

> Speaking of 2005, I wouldn't mind acquiring a book on
> the essential elements of the 2005 features in Ada,
> [...]
>
> There must be a digestable summary on the net somewhere.
> Resources?

The Ada Rationale would be one such resource.
http://www.adaic.org/standards/rationale05.html
From: Charmed Snark on
Georg Bauhaus expounded in news:4bbe21b1$0$6759$9b4e6d93
@newsspool3.arcor-online.net:

> On 4/8/10 6:40 PM, Warren wrote:
>
>> Speaking of 2005, I wouldn't mind acquiring a book on
>> the essential elements of the 2005 features in Ada,
>> [...]
>>
>> There must be a digestable summary on the net somewhere.
>> Resources?
>
> The Ada Rationale would be one such resource.
> http://www.adaic.org/standards/rationale05.html

Thanks. Someone else emailed me about that as well,
and so I went back and took a more serious look at
it (my lazy- my bad). There is indeed a good summary
of the change there.

Some very happy changes in there!

Warren
 |  Next  |  Last