From: A Watcher on
I've watched some old TV episodes on Hulu with both linux Mint and
WinXP. They both do fine in the small window. If I select full screen
its choppier with linux than with WinXP. With WinXP it is barely
watchable, with linux it isn't. I don't have a real fast internet
connection. I have a medium speed DSL, I forget the exact rate.
From: Aragorn on
On Saturday 08 May 2010 18:54 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody
identifying as A Watcher wrote...

> I've watched some old TV episodes on Hulu with both linux Mint and
> WinXP. They both do fine in the small window. If I select full
> screen its choppier with linux than with WinXP. With WinXP it is
> barely watchable, with linux it isn't. I don't have a real fast
> internet connection. I have a medium speed DSL, I forget the exact
> rate.

This is probably related to the Linux driver for your videocard. Video
streams are typically handled directly by the videocard, and if the
driver does not adequately support the full screen resolution on your
machine - depending on what resolution exactly this is and what refresh
rates are chosen - then watching any videos or TV streaming full screen
will result in nasty results.

Depending on what videocard you have, you might want to try a later
driver, if available, or a different driver if possible.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: A Watcher on
Aragorn wrote:
> On Saturday 08 May 2010 18:54 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody
> identifying as A Watcher wrote...
>
>> I've watched some old TV episodes on Hulu with both linux Mint and
>> WinXP. They both do fine in the small window. If I select full
>> screen its choppier with linux than with WinXP. With WinXP it is
>> barely watchable, with linux it isn't. I don't have a real fast
>> internet connection. I have a medium speed DSL, I forget the exact
>> rate.
>
> This is probably related to the Linux driver for your videocard. Video
> streams are typically handled directly by the videocard, and if the
> driver does not adequately support the full screen resolution on your
> machine - depending on what resolution exactly this is and what refresh
> rates are chosen - then watching any videos or TV streaming full screen
> will result in nasty results.
>
> Depending on what videocard you have, you might want to try a later
> driver, if available, or a different driver if possible.

Thanks, I'll check into that. Maybe upgrading to the latest Mint
version would help.
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-05-08, Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
> On Saturday 08 May 2010 18:54 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody
> identifying as A Watcher wrote...
>
>> I've watched some old TV episodes on Hulu with both linux Mint and
>> WinXP. They both do fine in the small window. If I select full
>> screen its choppier with linux than with WinXP. With WinXP it is
>> barely watchable, with linux it isn't. I don't have a real fast
>> internet connection. I have a medium speed DSL, I forget the exact
>> rate.
>
> This is probably related to the Linux driver for your videocard. Video
> streams are typically handled directly by the videocard,

Not really. Except in rare cases, the video stream is decoded by a
user-space application. Some video drivers provide support for
scaling, color-space translations, and some other operations. I'm not
aware of any cases where a video stream is handled directly by the
video card except for cards like the Hauppage PVR350 which has
complete MPEG2 decoding in hardware. The mainstream ATI and nVidia
cards certainly don't directly handle video streams.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Eisenhower!! Your
at mimeograph machine upsets
From: philo on
On 05/08/2010 11:54 AM, A Watcher wrote:
> I've watched some old TV episodes on Hulu with both linux Mint and
> WinXP. They both do fine in the small window. If I select full screen
> its choppier with linux than with WinXP. With WinXP it is barely
> watchable, with linux it isn't. I don't have a real fast internet
> connection. I have a medium speed DSL, I forget the exact rate.

I had similar problems with watching videos (No real difference between
Windows and Linux)

for just $5 a month or so...my ISP was able to upgrade my account
to a higher speed DSL

now I have no problems...it was worth the modest increase in my rate
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: 3D linux?
Next: ACLs on XFS via NFS