From: Emily on
Is it true that one MUST use ONLY the EXACT USB charger that comes with
their cell phone or digital camera?

Are USB chargers really not interchangable?

The T-Mobile store told me I could only use their T-Mobile charger for my
new USB based cellphone. After showing me the charger for the Motorola V195
which is 5.9 volts 375ma, they then opened a desk drawer and handed me
three melted USB chargers from blackberrys & digital cameras, one at 5.0
volts, 750ma; another at 5.0 volts, 550 ma, and yet another at 5.2 volts
450 ma.

Can we swap these supposedly USB chargers or not?
- Blackberry TCPRIM2ULSSN 5.0vdc 750mA
- Motorola PSM5037B 5.9vdc 375mA
- Motorola DCH3-05US-0300 5.0vdc 550mA
- Motorola FMP5185B 5.2vdc 450mA

Why is Blackberry USB different than Motorola USB which is different in and
of itself? Can we swap these USB chargers or must we stick to the charger
that came with the device?

Emily
From: Cgiorgio on
The wall charger is providing DC power to the charging circuit inside the
device which will limit the current going to the Li-ion battery as well as
the end of charge voltage (4,19 .. 4,20 Volts in most cases). A charger with
too low a current rating and no current limiting circuit can indeed be
burned out if its current rating is exceeded for an extended time. USB power
in the PC - world is 5.0 volts, and most Li-ion charger IC's will work
perfectly with 5.0 Volts. The store clerks probably do not know what they
are talking about.

From: dhoffman on

Emily wrote:
> Is it true that one MUST use ONLY the EXACT USB charger that comes with
> their cell phone or digital camera?

You are well advised to do so. That does not mean you can never
deviate. But if you do you had better know what you are doing. You
might be safe using the same voltage at a slightly different amperage
rate, but again you are on your own if trying this.

Doug Hoffman

From: Emily on
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:01:33 +0100, Cgiorgio wrote:
> USB power in the PC - world is 5.0 volts

I'm very confused.

If USB power is 5.0 volts in the PC world, why it USB power 5.9 volts in
the Motorola V195 world?

Isn't USB a standard in both worlds?

Emily
From: Emily on
On 28 Dec 2006 13:06:44 -0800, dhoffman(a)talkamerica.net wrote:

> You might be safe using the same voltage at a slightly different
> amperage rate, but again you are on your own if trying this.

But what I don't understand is why the amperage and voltage are DIFFERENT
for the USB chargers.

Isn't USB a standard?

Why would some chargers be almost 6 volts and others be 5 volts?

Emily