From: Phil Thompson on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:02:23 +0200, Bruno Desthuilliers
<bruno.42.desthuilliers(a)websiteburo.invalid> wrote:
> Daniel Fetchinson a écrit :
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> If I'm only interested in linux and windows I know I can do
>>
>> ################################
>> import os
>> import platform
>>
>> if platform.system( ) == 'Linux':
>> clear = 'clear'
>> else:
>> clear = 'cls'
>>
>> os.system( clear )
>> ################################
>>
>> or something equivalent using os.name and friends, but was wondering
>> why there is no platform independent way (i.e. the platform dependence
>> is taken care of by the python stdlib) of clearing a terminal. Sure,
>> there are many different terminals and many different operating
>> systems but in many areas python managed to hide all these
>> complexities behind a well defined API.
>>
>> Why was clearing a terminal left out?
>>

> What you're talking about is a shell, not a terminal (a terminal is a
> physical device). And the shell is not necessarily part of the OS itself

> (there's no shortage of shells for unices / linux systems), so it
> doesn't belong to the os or platform modules.
>
> FWIW, I can't tell for sure since I never used any other shell than
> bash, but I'm not sure your above code is garanteed to work on each and
> any possible unix shell.

Sorry, but that is completely wrong - the shell is irrelevant.

"clear" is just a normal command line program that queries the
termcap/terminfo database (possibly via the curses library) for the
terminal specific sequence of characters that will clear the screen. It
then writes those characters to stdout. The terminal, or (more usually
these days) terminal emulator, then interprets those characters and takes
the appropriate action.

I'm not sure what the POSIX status of the clear command is, but I'd be
surprised if it wasn't present on a UNIX/Linux system of any vintage.

Phil

From: Martin Gregorie on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:01:38 -0700, Jonathan Hartley wrote:

> Also, is it crazy to imagine that if colorama was pushed through to
> completion (ie. to support a majority of the relevant ANSI codes) then
> Python's stdlib curses module, unmodified, would suddenly just work on
> Windows? (after a call to 'colorama.init()')

Curses was originally built on top of termcap, a much simpler and more
primitive library. Its abilities are:
- read the termcap database to find and load the capability list
of the terminal identified as the TERM environment variable.
- write a named capability to the screen. If the capability isn't
defined for the current terminal its silently ignored.
- fill in x, y and write the cursor movement string
- thats about it.

Its easy enough to find termcap databases. They're just text files
containing a block of attribute values for each terminal, normally
including ANSI terminals, Linux consoles, X-terms etc. They are also
fairly easy to parse, even in vanilla C, so parsing one on Python should
be a breeze. Termcap format specs and lists of standard attribute names
are easy enough to find too.

IOW, if you extend colorama to read its codes from a termcap database
you'll have a basic but easily portable character console handler that
can at least clear the screen, move the cursor and, if the screen has the
capability, change the colour of characters or make them bold/dim/blink
etc.

To give you an idea of how complex this is, I've re-implemented termcap
in Java for my own purposes. It amounts to 1100 lines of fairly well
spaced and commented Java or about 340 statements, which were estimated
by counting lines containing semicolons.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK