From: thunk on
I spent some happy development time in "VisualAge" for Smalltalk +
Java and I sure do long for better support than "just an editor".
Seems like Java fit with that IDE amazingly well. So many great
features, and that was 14 years ago now!

So, does anybody know why there is no version of TextMate for Linux?

Seems like they should have a "little brother" version for the rest
of the rest of us?

Thunk

From: andrew mcelroy on
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM, thunk <gmkoller(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I spent some happy development time in "VisualAge" for Smalltalk +
> Java and I sure do long for better support than "just an editor".
> Seems like Java fit with that IDE amazingly well.  So many great
> features, and that was 14 years ago now!
>
> So, does anybody know why there is no version of TextMate for Linux?

There is, its called redcar and it is built entirely in ruby.
The problem is that i needs more development.
You can get the code on github.

Andrew

From: andrew mcelroy on
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 7:12 PM, andrew mcelroy <sophrinix(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM, thunk <gmkoller(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I spent some happy development time in "VisualAge" for Smalltalk +
>> Java and I sure do long for better support than "just an editor".
>> Seems like Java fit with that IDE amazingly well.  So many great
>> features, and that was 14 years ago now!
>>
>> So, does anybody know why there is no version of TextMate for Linux?
>
> There is, its called redcar and it is built entirely in ruby.
> The problem is that it needs more development.
> You can get the code on github.
>
> Andrew
>

>> Seems like they should have a "little brother"  version for the rest
>> of the rest of us?

Keep in mind that Textmate is not free software.

Andrew

From: David Masover on
On Friday 05 March 2010 07:10:05 pm thunk wrote:
> So, does anybody know why there is no version of TextMate for Linux?

Ask the TextMate author. In fact, it's in the FAQ:

http://wiki.macromates.com/Main/FAQ

Keep in mind that TextMate is proprietary, and as far as I know, is not
written in Ruby, so your question is a bit like asking why there's no version
of Photoshop for Linux -- kind of offtopic for this list, and the answer is
that the developer didn't port it.

A better question might be why so much of the Ruby community has embraced a
proprietary editor which is only available for a proprietary OS.

From: Paul Harrington on
David Masover wrote:
> A better question might be why so much of the Ruby community has
> embraced a
> proprietary editor which is only available for a proprietary OS.

Probably because its very good software on a very good OS? Using
proprietary technology actually does not stop the progress of open
source.

(That being said, I code with Vim in Linux, so...)