From: Ignoramus22882 on
I have recently changed one wireless broadband card for another.

These cards basically work through usbserial driver, pppd and
NetworkManager, and the part with making connections is relatively
straightforward. The only trouble is that every modem requires Windows
XP to be initialized once. But I can live with it.

NetworkManager uses ttyUSB0 for making connection and does NOT use
ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2.

And here comes my question, why are there ports ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2,
they probably serve some purpose on the cards.

Since both of those support GPS under Windows, I am assuming that
perhaps one of them is for GPS.

If so, can they just be used with, say, gpsd?

Is there some trick to it?

I have tried using gpsd with those ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2 and got
essentially nothing back. But if I can get precise time or even GPS
position, I would be very happy.

From: Wolfgang Draxinger on
Ignoramus22882 wrote:

> And here comes my question, why are there ports ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2,
> they probably serve some purpose on the cards.

For example use ttyUSB0 for your ppp connection, ttyUSB1 to send/recieve
text messages and query the network status (signal strength, used carrier),
and ttyUSB2 for the GPS NMEA data.

> Since both of those support GPS under Windows, I am assuming that
> perhaps one of them is for GPS.

Actually any of them can do it.

> If so, can they just be used with, say, gpsd?
>
> Is there some trick to it?

You must enable the GPS mode. However be warned, that the only way to switch
that off is a full reset of the modem.

Here's a nice command reference, look for GPS in it.
http://www.natisbad.org/E4300/Dell_Wireless_5530_AT_cmd_ref.html

Once activated gpsd, TangoGPS and the like work just fine.

Wolfgang

From: Chris Davies on
In comp.os.linux.misc Ignoramus22882 <ignoramus22882(a)nospam.22882.invalid> wrote:
> I have recently changed one wireless broadband card for another.

Details!!

> These cards basically work through usbserial driver, pppd and
> NetworkManager, and the part with making connections is relatively
> straightforward. The only trouble is that every modem requires Windows
> XP to be initialized once. But I can live with it.

Why live with it? Tell us what card you've got (and its USB/PCI identity)
and it's possible there's already someone out here with a fix.

> And here comes my question, why are there ports ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2,
> they probably serve some purpose on the cards.

My card uses one for data and the other for control.

> I have tried using gpsd with those ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2 and got
> essentially nothing back. But if I can get precise time or even GPS
> position, I would be very happy.

Without knowing anything about the card you've got, it's impossible to
give any useful suggestions.

Chris
From: Wolfgang Draxinger on
Chris Davies wrote:

> Why live with it? Tell us what card you've got (and its USB/PCI identity)
> and it's possible there's already someone out here with a fix.

Didn't read that one earlier. There's this tool usbmodeswitch (google it),
which does this trick, i.e. sending a magic string to initialize.

> My card uses one for data and the other for control.

Probably you can interchange those just fine.

> Without knowing anything about the card you've got, it's impossible to
> give any useful suggestions.

Those 3G modems mostly behave the same. That's probably due to the fact,
that there are only four vendors of 3G baseband, and the protocoll on the
serial basically is some extended GSM AT command set.

Wolfgang

From: Ignoramus22882 on
On 2010-01-26, Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc Ignoramus22882 <ignoramus22882(a)nospam.22882.invalid> wrote:
>> I have recently changed one wireless broadband card for another.
>
> Details!!

The new card is "u300" , see here

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/4g/4g-products/sprint-3g4g-u300-wireless-modem/

I use Sprint as my network.

I needed to add the following rules to udev rules:

ACTION!="add", GOTO="3G_End"

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6002", ATTRS{idVendor}=="16d8", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x16d8 product=0x6002" LABEL="3G_End

for the card to be auto-recognized. See http://jebus.nu/tech-corner/sprint-u300

>> These cards basically work through usbserial driver, pppd and
>> NetworkManager, and the part with making connections is relatively
>> straightforward. The only trouble is that every modem requires Windows
>> XP to be initialized once. But I can live with it.
>
> Why live with it? Tell us what card you've got (and its USB/PCI identity)
> and it's possible there's already someone out here with a fix.

0x16d8:0x6002 is the ID.

Initialization of this device possibly involves communication with
sprint that deals with billing information, so I would suspect it to
be not so easy, but I would love to be wrong.

>> And here comes my question, why are there ports ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2,
>> they probably serve some purpose on the cards.
>
> My card uses one for data and the other for control.

OK, but on mine there are three ports.

>> I have tried using gpsd with those ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2 and got
>> essentially nothing back. But if I can get precise time or even GPS
>> position, I would be very happy.
>
> Without knowing anything about the card you've got, it's impossible to
> give any useful suggestions.

Sure. I will provide any info that you might want.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: reliance netconnect
Next: Instant Messenger