From: Scott on
I have a Toshiba R150 laptop pc and set up wireless connection at home and
works correctly. I also use it at various locations without any issues.
Recently, I encountered failure connection in two locations where are at our
suppliers. The first one was that I could not connect to the AP with given
password. I went together with my colleagues who worked with the AP without
issue. Yesterday, I visited another supplier who had an AP without any
password. My colleagues worked very well except me. I could connect the AP
but my computer always said my IP was same as others and failed to work
properly. I have no cure how to diagnostic it and trace the cause. Can
someone advise me how to track down the issues.

From: Shenan Stanley on
Scott wrote:
> I have a Toshiba R150 laptop pc and set up wireless connection at
> home and works correctly. I also use it at various locations
> without any issues. Recently, I encountered failure connection in
> two locations where are at our suppliers. The first one was that I
> could not connect to the AP with given password. I went together
> with my colleagues who worked with the AP without issue.
> Yesterday, I visited another supplier who had an AP without any
> password. My colleagues worked very well except me. I could
> connect the AP but my computer always said my IP was same as others
> and failed to work properly. I have no cure how to diagnostic it
> and trace the cause. Can someone advise me how to track down the
> issues.

Ensure you have the latest hardware device driver and software for your
wireless device from the wireless device manufacturer.

Beyond that - you could just have a poor wireless device.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Bernd on

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> I have a Toshiba R150 laptop pc and set up wireless connection at home and
> works correctly. I also use it at various locations without any issues.
> Recently, I encountered failure connection in two locations where are at our
> suppliers. The first one was that I could not connect to the AP with given
> password. I went together with my colleagues who worked with the AP without
> issue. Yesterday, I visited another supplier who had an AP without any
> password. My colleagues worked very well except me. I could connect the AP
> but my computer always said my IP was same as others and failed to work
> properly. I have no cure how to diagnostic it and trace the cause. Can
> someone advise me how to track down the issues.

Are you sure you use DHCP to get an IP address dynamically ?

Bernd
From: Lem on
Scott wrote:
> I have a Toshiba R150 laptop pc and set up wireless connection at home and
> works correctly. I also use it at various locations without any issues.
> Recently, I encountered failure connection in two locations where are at our
> suppliers. The first one was that I could not connect to the AP with given
> password. I went together with my colleagues who worked with the AP without
> issue. Yesterday, I visited another supplier who had an AP without any
> password. My colleagues worked very well except me. I could connect the AP
> but my computer always said my IP was same as others and failed to work
> properly. I have no cure how to diagnostic it and trace the cause. Can
> someone advise me how to track down the issues.

The last time something like this happened to me, it was because the
laptop had a wireless-B (802.11b) adapter. Although many wireless-G
routers are configured to work with both G and B, some routers may be
set to wireless-G (802.11g) only.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Scott on
Thanks for your advice. Let me search to see if I can find any latest
driver and/or ConfigFree utility software.