From: MBaker21 on
I am running Microsoft Vista 32bit sp1. I had to replace hard drive due to
problems when computer was made. Hard drive was sent directly to me from dell
with all the operating systems programs and files that were on the computer
when it was bought. Since then I have not been able to update Vista,
Microsoft Office or any other program that came on the pc. I tried to reload
Vista with the OS disc and the pc is showing that it is a blank dvd, but its
the same disc that came with the pc from dell. The pc also randomly goes to a
blue screen and says its "collecting data for memory crash dump" or something
like that. I can't get my virus scan to update or register. Everytime I try
to update windows I get a error code: 80070490

Can someone please help me with this?
From: MowGreen on
First, configure the system to clean boot:
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

IF a 3rd party firewall was being used, ensure the native Vista firewall
is now Enabled by opening the Windows Firewall applet in Control Panel.

Next, download and *save* the System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR)
for Vista 32 bit (x86) from the link on this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Once the download completes close *all* open browsers and programs that
you had previously opened.
Now run Windows6.0-KB947821-v7-x86.msu.

Restart once CheckSUR has finished it's operation.
See if the system can update now.
If not, then please post the contents of one of the logs that CheckSUR
created:

Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log or the CheckSUR.persist.log

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

From: MBaker21 on
It still will not update. Its still saying "can't check for updates" error
code 80070490.

Here is the log that CheckSUR had on the system.

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.0.6002.22285
Package Version 7.0
2010-02-26 21:38

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages
(f) CBS Registry
Error 0x80070103 Package_16_for_KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000 failed to get owner for package.
(f) CBS Registry
Error 0x80070103 Package_17_for_KB935509~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.9 failed to get owner for package.
(f) CBS Registry
Error 0x80070002 Package_for_KB937287~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000 failed to get Visibility

Checking Component Store

Found 3 errors
CBS Registry Error Total count: 3

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: MowGreen on
MBaker21 wrote:
>> Hard drive was sent directly to me from dell
>> with all the operating systems programs and files that were on the computer
>> when it was bought. Since then I have not been able to update Vista,
>> Microsoft Office or any other program that came on the pc.

> Checking Packages
> (f) CBS Registry
> Error 0x80070103 Package_16_for_KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000
> failed to get owner for package.
> (f) CBS Registry
> Error 0x80070103 Package_17_for_KB935509~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.9
> failed to get owner for package.
> (f) CBS Registry
> Error 0x80070002 Package_for_KB937287~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000
> failed to get Visibility

Package_16_for_KB936330 is a package that was included in Vista SP1.
Package_17_for_KB935509 and Package_for_KB937287 are prerequisite
updates that must be installed prior to the application of SP1.

When you say that Dell sent you the HD " with all the operating systems
programs and files that were on the computer when it was bought ", does
that mean that everything that was on the damaged HD was imaged onto the
new one or that they sent the new HD to you in the same state as when
you first booted up the system ?

0x80070002 The system cannot find the file specified
0x80070103 No more data is available

I doubt that the above errors would be causing the various issues that
you included in your initial post. Damaged updating components would not
be causing BSODs and this sure sounds like there's a hardware problem
going on.

Was the system having updating issues when the previous HD was working
properly ?
Have you contacted Dell for their take on this ?

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com