From: ed on
Hi all,

exchange2003 sp2/outlook2003

I have one user that compaints to take longer time to open outlook. he has
120,000 items and 4GB size after our archived system. It seems that he does
not want to delete anything from the email.

Will cache mode help him? any other suggestions?

Thank you!
From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 09:41:02 -0800, ed <ed(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>exchange2003 sp2/outlook2003
>
>I have one user that compaints to take longer time to open outlook. he has
>120,000 items and 4GB size after our archived system. It seems that he does
>not want to delete anything from the email.
>
>Will cache mode help him? any other suggestions?
>
>Thank you!

The only thing that will help is some "two by four"
A 4GB isn't massive but it's a bit too large for Exchange 2003 to cope
with, certainly along with other users on the server. Then there's the
matter of 120k items. Above 5k items in any one folder and you're
going to get problems server and client side. Cached mode will be of
help in terms of Outlook opening but the performance issues that your
guy sees will just move. Your server won't be a great deal happier.

Education is probably best.
From: Jaime on
If your company has no specific requirements for the retention of all those
e-mails, why hot have the user archive all the older ones to local files on
his PC.

He can still have access to them (if ever needed) and he could burn a copy
to a DVD for backup.
--
James
Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida

From: John on
I agree but how do you deal with bosses or company owners who refuse to
delete/archive email? Education doesn't seem to work if they ignore what I
tell them.

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 13:07:47 -0800, "John" <a> wrote:

>I agree but how do you deal with bosses or company owners who refuse to
>delete/archive email? Education doesn't seem to work if they ignore what I
>tell them.

You shove a costed proposal for Exchange 2010 and outlook 2010 under
his nose and tell him that's the price for his email.