From: GreenXenon on
On Apr 24, 11:43 am, spop...(a)speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
> GreenXenon  <glucege...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >Is there any type of volatile RAM that is not impacted by carrier-
> >trapping or atom-migration? I'm getting scared, now.
>
> Good question.  These effects scale nonlinearly with field strength
> (i.e. volts per meter) so they only started to become bothersome
> with finer geometries.  They are now commonplace but they may
> have been undetectable in older, slower processes.
>
> But if you really want to destroy all past traces of a computer's
> activity, you probably need to incinerate it.  Periodically
> clone your drive, then take the old drive, all your memory,
> and the CPU and burn them.

Why does the CPU have to be destroyed? Does it retain data
permanently?

Also what exactly is a "carrier"?
From: Steve Pope on
GreenXenon <glucegen1x(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Apr 24, 11:43�am, spop...(a)speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

>> But if you really want to destroy all past traces of a computer's
>> activity, you probably need to incinerate it. �Periodically
>> clone your drive, then take the old drive, all your memory,
>> and the CPU and burn them.

>Why does the CPU have to be destroyed? Does it retain data
>permanently?

The CPU chip has cache memory in it; if one believe traces of old
data are stored in RAM memories, than one must suspect the
CPU chip too.

S.
From: GreenXenon on
On Apr 24, 12:33 pm, spop...(a)speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
> GreenXenon  <glucege...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Apr 24, 11:43 am, spop...(a)speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
> >> But if you really want to destroy all past traces of a computer's
> >> activity, you probably need to incinerate it.  Periodically
> >> clone your drive, then take the old drive, all your memory,
> >> and the CPU and burn them.
> >Why does the CPU have to be destroyed? Does it retain data
> >permanently?
>
> The CPU chip has cache memory in it; if one believe traces of old
> data are stored in RAM memories, than one must suspect the
> CPU chip too.
>
> S.

Is it to possible to design a functional CPU that does not contain any
RAM or cache?

What would happen if the RAM of the CPU were replaced with mask-
programmed ROM?
From: GreenXenon on
On Apr 24, 10:09 pm, Jerry Avins <j...(a)ieee.org> wrote:

> On 4/24/2010 3:46 PM, GreenXenon wrote:

> > Is it to possible to design a functional CPU that does not contain any
> > RAM or cache?
>

> Yes, but it will be slow.

Why?
From: Clay on

> Well, you could use relays. Do you know the origin of "bug" in a
> computer context?

Grace does!