From: Paul on
Paul Calcagno wrote:
> I'm running Win XP, SP3, 2 GB of RAM, Firefox, all WU's, Avira &
> SpywareDoctor set for updates and re-scans every day, MBAM, SAS,
> CCleaner resident on my Compaq laptop.
> Lately, sometimes right after I open up WLM and Firefox, the computer
> does an immediate shutdown - The screen goes black and the computer is
> completely off. Pushing the power on button brings it up just fine.
> This `shutdown' doesn't always happen.
> What I've tried so far is: "Dev Mgr==>Ethernet Properties. Click on
> Power tools tab; deselect `let computer turn off this device to save
> power". The only thing I didn't do after the Dev Mgr thing was a
> restart. Is there anything else that might cause/fix this problem?
> I've had some laptop fan issues, meaning that sometimes it seems to be
> off when it seems like it should be on. Would overheating the drive
> cause this kind of a shutdown? Would the `event logs' show anything and
> if so, how do I access them on my XP machine?
>
> Paul C.

Modern processors are protected by THERMTRIP. Once the CPU gets
over a critical temperature, THERMTRIP causes the computer to
switch off instantly. There is no time for any log entry, if
that is the nature of the problem. Such a shutdown does not
involve software at all, and it doesn't get a say in the matter.

Also, if the computer is getting that hot, the heat might not
be good for the battery. The battery lasts longer, if the ambient
temperature stays a bit lower.

I would check the vent on the machine, to see if it is free of
dust bunnies. If you have pets, that only increases the odds
it is a problem with the vent.

If you use a program like Speedfan (almico.com), you may be
able to monitor the CPU temperature.

It could be, that you have two fans, and one of the fans has
stopped entirely.

Paul
From: Paul Calcagno on
DL, when I try "Control Panel>Adminastrative Tools>Event Viewer" the list of
tools is empy. Paul C

From: Paul Calcagno on
Thanks Paul. See my comments within your text below. Paul C.

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> Paul Calcagno wrote:
>> I'm running Win XP, SP3, 2 GB of RAM, Firefox, all WU's, Avira &
>> SpywareDoctor set for updates and re-scans every day, MBAM, SAS, CCleaner
>> resident on my Compaq laptop.
>> Lately, sometimes right after I open up WLM and Firefox, the computer
>> does an immediate shutdown - The screen goes black and the computer is
>> completely off. Pushing the power on button brings it up just fine. This
>> `shutdown' doesn't always happen.
>> What I've tried so far is: "Dev Mgr==>Ethernet Properties. Click on Power
>> tools tab; deselect `let computer turn off this device to save power".
>> The only thing I didn't do after the Dev Mgr thing was a restart. Is
>> there anything else that might cause/fix this problem?
>> I've had some laptop fan issues, meaning that sometimes it seems to be
>> off when it seems like it should be on. Would overheating the drive
>> cause this kind of a shutdown? Would the `event logs' show anything and
>> if so, how do I access them on my XP machine?
>>
>> Paul C.
>
> Modern processors are protected by THERMTRIP. Once the CPU gets
> over a critical temperature, THERMTRIP causes the computer to
> switch off instantly. There is no time for any log entry, if
> that is the nature of the problem. Such a shutdown does not
> involve software at all, and it doesn't get a say in the matter.
>
> Also, if the computer is getting that hot, the heat might not
> be good for the battery. The battery lasts longer, if the ambient
> temperature stays a bit lower.
The battery's at the other end of the laptop so I doubt it's seeing
much of the heat.

> I would check the vent on the machine, to see if it is free of
> dust bunnies. If you have pets, that only increases the odds
> it is a problem with the vent.
I've cleaned out the vent and the fan fairly recently. It seems that
sometimes if I poke the fan (with a paperclip) it will start up. Doesn't do
this all the time and I can hear it running at different speeds.

> If you use a program like Speedfan (almico.com), you may be
> able to monitor the CPU temperature.
>
> It could be, that you have two fans, and one of the fans has
> stopped entirely.
Only one fan.

From: Jose on
On Mar 8, 2:05 pm, "Paul Calcagno" <pcalca...(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> DL, when I try "Control Panel>Adminastrative Tools>Event Viewer" the list of
> tools is empy.  Paul C
>
> "DL" <notva...(a)spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Control Panel>Adminastrative Tools>Event Viewer
> > Overheating could cause an instant shutdown
>
> > "Paul Calcagno" <pcalca...(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm running Win XP, SP3, 2 GB of RAM, Firefox, all WU's, Avira &
> >> SpywareDoctor set for updates and re-scans every day, MBAM, SAS, CCleaner
> >> resident on my Compaq laptop.
> >> Lately, sometimes right after I open up WLM and Firefox, the computer
> >> does an immediate shutdown - The screen goes black and the computer is
> >> completely off.  Pushing the power on button brings it up just fine. This
> >> `shutdown' doesn't always happen.
> >> What I've tried so far is: "Dev Mgr==>Ethernet Properties. Click on Power
> >> tools tab; deselect `let computer turn off this device to save power".
> >> The only thing I didn't do after the Dev Mgr thing was a restart. Is
> >> there anything else that might cause/fix this problem?
> >> I've had some laptop fan issues, meaning that sometimes it seems to be
> >> off when it seems like it should be on.  Would overheating the drive
> >> cause this kind of a shutdown? Would the `event logs' show anything and
> >> if so, how do I access them on my XP machine?
>
> >> Paul C.

That is a different problem

One still missing piece of information we would have if you respond
appropriately is what kind of Compaq laptop.

If you would respond to my other queries, we will have the information
needed to troubleshoot effectively. We would know how many fans you
have and it they should be running all the time or not and maybe even
where to poke it if it needs poking...

Dust bunnies? I got your dust bunnies right here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/13/ventblockers/print.html
From: Jose on
On Mar 8, 2:05 pm, "Paul Calcagno" <pcalca...(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> DL, when I try "Control Panel>Adminastrative Tools>Event Viewer" the list of
> tools is empy.  Paul C
>
> "DL" <notva...(a)spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Control Panel>Adminastrative Tools>Event Viewer
> > Overheating could cause an instant shutdown
>
> > "Paul Calcagno" <pcalca...(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm running Win XP, SP3, 2 GB of RAM, Firefox, all WU's, Avira &
> >> SpywareDoctor set for updates and re-scans every day, MBAM, SAS, CCleaner
> >> resident on my Compaq laptop.
> >> Lately, sometimes right after I open up WLM and Firefox, the computer
> >> does an immediate shutdown - The screen goes black and the computer is
> >> completely off.  Pushing the power on button brings it up just fine. This
> >> `shutdown' doesn't always happen.
> >> What I've tried so far is: "Dev Mgr==>Ethernet Properties. Click on Power
> >> tools tab; deselect `let computer turn off this device to save power".
> >> The only thing I didn't do after the Dev Mgr thing was a restart. Is
> >> there anything else that might cause/fix this problem?
> >> I've had some laptop fan issues, meaning that sometimes it seems to be
> >> off when it seems like it should be on.  Would overheating the drive
> >> cause this kind of a shutdown? Would the `event logs' show anything and
> >> if so, how do I access them on my XP machine?
>
> >> Paul C.

Here is how to resolve missing Administrative Tools.

However, if your system has malicious software present, this may not
work or may not work for long:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admintools.htm

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3