From: jnkmail009 on
I've been trying, off and on, to troubleshoot this annoyance for a
while but haven't been successful.

My computers connect to a wireless AP that is attached to a wired
router. The router provides all DHCP.

Every time I logon to WinXP, the connection "breaks". It doesn't
"break" right away, but about a minute after logging in. I believe it
is likely a DHCP issue.

I know for certain that the problem lays somewhere in Windows and not
my network hardware because my other computers running Linux don't
"break" their network connections.

This is a clean WinXP computer. There is no junk installed and I'm
very meticulous about what processes are allowed to run.

I don't know what else to check in Windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
From: jnkmail009 on
On Nov 24, 4:34 pm, jnkmail...(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> I've been trying, off and on, to troubleshoot this annoyance for a
> while but haven't been successful.
>
> My computers connect to a wireless AP that is attached to a wired
> router.  The router provides all DHCP.
>
> Every time I logon to WinXP, the connection "breaks".  It doesn't
> "break" right away, but about a minute after logging in.  I believe it
> is likely a DHCP issue.
>
> I know for certain that the problem lays somewhere in Windows and not
> my network hardware because my other computers running Linux don't
> "break" their network connections.
>
> This is a clean WinXP computer.  There is no junk installed and I'm
> very meticulous about what processes are allowed to run.
>
> I don't know what else to check in Windows.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Oh, the way that I re-establish the network connection is simply by
bringing up the DLink client and re-connecting to the AP. The
connection will continue to run, even after logging out, until the
next time I logon to WinXP. Its as if there is a process in the
startup breaking the connection. This is a perfectly clean and fresh
WinXP install.
From: Mark McIntyre on
jnkmail009(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> I've been trying, off and on, to troubleshoot this annoyance for a
> while but haven't been successful.
>
> My computers connect to a wireless AP that is attached to a wired
> router. The router provides all DHCP.
>
> Every time I logon to WinXP, the connection "breaks". It doesn't
> "break" right away, but about a minute after logging in. I believe it
> is likely a DHCP issue.

It would probably be useful to know the make and model of your router,
the make and model of the working and nonworking wireless hardware, the
versions of windows and Linux etc etc.

Most likely issues - interference which the windows box is more
sensitive to because of its physical location, powersaving enabled on
the network device, bugs in the windows driver software.
From: jnkmail009 on
The WinXP computer is in the same room as one of the Linux computers.
Signal strength is a steady 85%
All drivers are current.

I just tried using a static IP, but had the same results (connectivity
lost after each login). I still have to manually "bump" (re-connect)
the connection after logging in, even though the tray icon doesn't
show the connection as lost.. This seems to suggest that it isn't
DHCP, but something else going on.

Anyone familiar with WinXP enough to know what exactly it does with
network connections at each login? Something is causing it to get
lost. This is a clean and fresh WinXP install, so it must be
something in Windows.
From: Juan Kerr on
<jnkmail009(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying, off and on, to troubleshoot this annoyance for a
> while but haven't been successful.
>
> My computers connect to a wireless AP that is attached to a wired
> router. The router provides all DHCP.
>
> Every time I logon to WinXP, the connection "breaks". It doesn't
> "break" right away, but about a minute after logging in. I believe it
> is likely a DHCP issue.
>
> I know for certain that the problem lays somewhere in Windows and not
> my network hardware because my other computers running Linux don't
> "break" their network connections.
>
> This is a clean WinXP computer. There is no junk installed and I'm
> very meticulous about what processes are allowed to run.
> I don't know what else to check in Windows.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Install XP SP2. XP had a problem sometimes dropping connections that SP2
normally fixes...
(The XP WZC service is by default configured to enable 802.1 x
authentications. This
authentication process would often cause the system to drop the wireless
connection
about every three to five minutes.)
To avoid this problem 802.1x authentication should be disabled.
If you want to do it without installing sp2 :
Click Start, point to Connect To, Click Show all connections, and then
double-click your wireless network.
On the General tab, click Properties.
Click the Wireless Networks tab.
Under Preferred Network, click your network and then click Properties.
Click the Authentication tab, and then clear the Enable IEEE 802.1x
authentication for this network check box.
( http://www.sydneywireless.com/?p=777 )
or
If you changed or upgraded your firewall software or anti-virus software,
try disabling it.
The Windows firewall may be on without you being aware. Disable the Windows
firewall.
Update the Router firmware?
Make sure that EACH PC has a unique IP address?
or
Connect all bar the XP machine, make sure all is ok, then connect the XP
box. As soon as it connects, 'repair' the connection on the XP machine, or
use winipcfg or ipconfig to perform a manual DHCP release and renew...
If you are using 128-bit WEP, try using a 64-bit key instead. Depending upon
your hardware, there could be an interoperability problem between the wifi
modules you are connecting through.
Turn on MAC address filtering in the router?

There, something must do the job from that list!

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: 150N USB
Next: Security. WPA?/-TKIP /-CCMP