From: Don Phillipson on
"XP Guy" <XP(a)Guy.com> wrote in message news:4B8006B4.2AC4A13B(a)Guy.com...
> The issue I'm seeing is actually on an NT4 server with IE6-sp1, but I'm
> asking here because there aren't enough people following NT4 newsgroups
> any more, and I figure that NT is similar enough to XP in this
> situation.
>
> The problem is that these graphic symbols or control elements are
> screwed up:
>
> - window minimize, maximize, and close buttons (upper right-hand
> corner of any window)
>
> - scroll bar up and down arrows, arrows for drop-down lists (the
> actual small black arrow)
>
> - radio buttons and check boxes
>
> are screwed up and seem to have been replaced with numbers or letters
> (in the case of the first two items) and radio buttons and check boxes
> are so mangled that it's hard to tell when a check-box or radio button
> has been set or is empty.
>
> The system in question has been like this for probably the last 7 years,
> and I have no ides what might have triggered or caused it.
>
> What part of an NT / XP system is responsible for rendering those window
> and menu-interface objects?
>
> I've re-applied the last service-pack for NT4 (SP6a) and re-installed
> IE6-sp1. I've changed the video card in the system (from ATI to Nvidia)
> and installed the correct video drivers.
>
> What API, GDI, kernel, DLL, VXD, activex, directx, or font files (etc)
> plays a role in rendering these particular window control elements or
> objects?

Main Windows display font (e.g. for hide/maximin/close boxes at
top right corner) is MARLETT.TTF. Your SFC (System File
Checker) may be the fastest way to test its integrity or recopy it.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: XP Guy on
Don Phillipson wrote:

> > (various window-control buttons and objects are screwed up)
>
> Main Windows display font (e.g. for hide/maximin/close boxes at
> top right corner) is MARLETT.TTF. Your SFC (System File
> Checker) may be the fastest way to test its integrity or
> recopy it.

Ah yes, thanks. As indicated here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/134861

Which primarily recommends replacement of the file, and which goes on to
say:

----------
If after replacing the Marlett.ttf file numbers or garbled characters
still appear in place of controls, try deleting the Ttfcache file in the
Windows folder. This file is rebuilt automatically when you restart the
computer. Problems with the Marlett.ttf file can also be caused by
exceeding, or approaching, the approximate limitation of 1000 fonts.

If this does not work, verify that the Hidden attribute is set for the
Marlett.ttf font file.
---------

The article states that it applies only to Windows 95, but seems to
describe exactly the problem I'm seeing on this NT4 system.

I'm aware that win-9x systems have problems with lots of installed
fonts, but have no idea if NT4 is similarly impacted. I find it curious
that the Marlett.ttf file might have to be set to hidden as part of a
solution (why would that be?)