From: Nancy on
Hello,

I have many Win 95 programs on my computer and all ran fine on my Win XP
computer - until I installed the new security update on thursday. Now I am
sometimes getting the error:

'The Win 16 Subsystem has insufficient resources to continue running. Click
on OK, close your applications, and restart your machine'

Although I can open and run many Win XP RAM intensive programs without
receiving this error. I should have plenty of resources to run the tiny Win
95 programs that are giving this error (especially since I can run any Win XP
program without any errors)

My system:

Win XP Home SP 2
3.2gig processor
1.5gig RAM
200gig HD (over 90% free space)

Defragged last night - cleared MSIE cache today.

Task manager shows plenty of resources available. This does not happen all
the time - and never happened before the security update.

Would like to know if anyone else has this happening and what I can do to
work around microsoft's patch until they discover the problem and release a
patch to fix the patch. They should have tested it more thoroughly before
releasing it :(
From: Unk on
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 19:38:01 -0800, "Nancy" <Nancy(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have many Win 95 programs on my computer and all ran fine on my Win XP
>computer - until I installed the new security update on thursday. Now I am
>sometimes getting the error:
>
>'The Win 16 Subsystem has insufficient resources to continue running. Click
>on OK, close your applications, and restart your machine'
>
>Although I can open and run many Win XP RAM intensive programs without
>receiving this error. I should have plenty of resources to run the tiny Win
>95 programs that are giving this error (especially since I can run any Win XP
>program without any errors)
>
>My system:
>
>Win XP Home SP 2
>3.2gig processor
>1.5gig RAM
>200gig HD (over 90% free space)
>
>Defragged last night - cleared MSIE cache today.
>
>Task manager shows plenty of resources available. This does not happen all
>the time - and never happened before the security update.
>
>Would like to know if anyone else has this happening and what I can do to
>work around microsoft's patch until they discover the problem and release a
>patch to fix the patch. They should have tested it more thoroughly before
>releasing it :(

How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314495

MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit"

Download "XP_FIX.EXE" from http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/
"This installation program will reinstall the missing or corrupt Windows XP system files
command.com, autoexec.nt, and config.nt. The absence or corruption of one or more of these files
causes a "16 Bit Subsystem" error."
Direct download: http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/xp_fix.exe
From: Wesley Vogel on
See Alex Nichol's response here...
http://www.adras.com/Win16-subsystem-has-no-resources.t342-1.html

Win16 subsystem has insufficient resources to continue running error
http://www.serve.com/xywwweb/oed.shtml#win16

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E4CBE5B1-0492-48D1-9259-28C91060E2EB(a)microsoft.com,
Nancy <Nancy(a)discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello,
>
> I have many Win 95 programs on my computer and all ran fine on my Win XP
> computer - until I installed the new security update on thursday. Now I
> am sometimes getting the error:
>
> 'The Win 16 Subsystem has insufficient resources to continue running.
> Click on OK, close your applications, and restart your machine'
>
> Although I can open and run many Win XP RAM intensive programs without
> receiving this error. I should have plenty of resources to run the tiny
> Win 95 programs that are giving this error (especially since I can run
> any Win XP program without any errors)
>
> My system:
>
> Win XP Home SP 2
> 3.2gig processor
> 1.5gig RAM
> 200gig HD (over 90% free space)
>
> Defragged last night - cleared MSIE cache today.
>
> Task manager shows plenty of resources available. This does not happen
> all the time - and never happened before the security update.
>
> Would like to know if anyone else has this happening and what I can do to
> work around microsoft's patch until they discover the problem and release
> a patch to fix the patch. They should have tested it more thoroughly
> before releasing it :(

Pages: 1
Prev: RAM Disk
Next: xp pro toolbar missing