From: RJK on
"Bruce Hagen" <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>"Jean Rosenfeld" <jean.rosenfeld(a)nospam.ukgateway.net> wrote in message
>A better bridge is Community forums bridge:

+1.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

I "glanced" at the "Community Forums" web site, before fighting with the
Connect nntp bridges, (perhanced I should have glance harder and longer !),
and thought it looked even more complicated than the "Connect" ones, ... who
failed to mention anywhere, (well, I couldn't see it anywhere), that I had
to make a News account in OE with local machine 127.0.0.1 server address, or
it wouldn't work, ...then I noticed that it wouldn't work because the
Answers Forum needed changing to port 120
....and of course, had to wade through all that MS "Live" stuff as well :-(

regards, Richard

From: SC Tom on

"RJK" <nosuch(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>"Jean Rosenfeld" <jean.rosenfeld(a)nospam.ukgateway.net> wrote in message
>>A better bridge is Community forums bridge:
>

> +1.
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> I "glanced" at the "Community Forums" web site, before fighting with the
> Connect nntp bridges, (perhanced I should have glance harder and longer
> !), and thought it looked even more complicated than the "Connect" ones,
> ... who failed to mention anywhere, (well, I couldn't see it anywhere),
> that I had to make a News account in OE with local machine 127.0.0.1
> server address, or it wouldn't work, ...then I noticed that it wouldn't
> work because the Answers Forum needed changing to port 120
> ...and of course, had to wade through all that MS "Live" stuff as well :-(
>
> regards, Richard

The Community forums bridge uses port 119 for all of the forums, Answers,
TechNet, etc. (2,284 forums in various languages). I much prefer using it to
access all of them than use the separate bridges.
--
SC Tom

From: Alias on
On 08/01/2010 01:58 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Peter Taylor:
>> Microsoft is discontinuing all their newsgroups in favor of web forums.
>
> Are these the same guys that designed the Windows 7 UI?.... -)

No, the people who did this are in the control freak department.

--
Alias
From: Alias on
On 08/01/2010 03:55 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Alias:
>> On 08/01/2010 01:58 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>>> Per Peter Taylor:
>>>
>>> Are these the same guys that designed the Windows 7 UI?.... -)
>>
>> No, the people who did this are in the control freak department.
>
> But I bet both departments are under the Gratuitous Changes With
> No Added Functionality But Much Added Inconvenience division....
>
> I'm no technophobe and I'd say that Windows 7 has gotten to a
> degree of arcane-ness that's approaching Linux.
>
> If somebody has XP down cold, they should not have to spend time
> trying to figure how to perform functions that they have
> programmed into their lower brain stem along with how to tie
> one's shoelaces.
>
> Seems like when MS is crafting a new OS/UI, there should be a
> committee or something that developers have to go before to
> justify any deviation from the prior OS' UI.

I don't find Win 7 to be all that much different than XP. New eye candy
and some changes as to where things are but basically same old same old
Windows. The "aero" seems like a poor imitation of Compiz, though :-)

--
Alias
From: ctowers on
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

> If somebody has XP down cold, they should not have to spend time
> trying to figure how to perform functions that they have
> programmed into their lower brain stem along with how to tie
> one's shoelaces.
>
> Seems like when MS is crafting a new OS/UI, there should be a
> committee or something that developers have to go before to
> justify any deviation from the prior OS' UI.

+1

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: XBox 360 controller not installing
Next: Date and Time ??