From: Bryan on
Hi, I am getting a failure to install this update with Windows 7.

I downloaded the update and tried to install the stand alone package but
that didn't work.

Does anyone else have this problem?

thanks
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Does the description in Symptoms section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978637 apply to you? [yes/no]

From: re-i8nstalling new windows updates re-i8nstalling new windows on
Bryan...(neat spelling) I too had trouble with today's windows update..My
windows 7 64 bit notebook crashed and my desktop also 64 bit froze...never
had this problem until today..I shut it down...literally unplugged it- booted
up and all updates were in..Both computers got STUCK with these new updates..
All is fine now and both are working well.
Try to re-install and WAIT....it will work..
Best
Joady

From: Bryan on
So far I haven't had any problems with this particular issue. However MS
listed it as important rather than optional or recommended.

I would prefer to get it, if I can.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Since KB978637 is not a security update, there is no free support for your
issue, Bryan, and trying to discover why it's not installing may end up
being an exercise in futility. If you're not seeing the behavior addressed
by the update, just hiding it may be a more time-efficient option. See...

HOW TO Hide an Update or Restore a Hidden Update
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24376-windows-update-hide-restore-hidden-updates.html

That being said, the very few references I can find for the 800736B3 suggest
a third-party software issue is causing the behavior.

Did you upgrade to Win7 or is it a brand-new computer that came with Win7
preinstalled?

Is it a Win7 64-bit computer?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?