From: Bosco836 on
Hello,

I have a UniBody Macbook Pro that currently runs 10.6.2 and Windows XP
SP3.

My question is four-fold:

1) I intend to purchase Windows 7 Professional through my University
at a substantially reduced price. Can I install this using Bootcamp
on my Macbook Pro?

2) The copies the University is offering come with either the 32 bit
version OR the 64 bit version - NOT both. Which should I purchase? I
am inclined to go with the 64 bit version, in order to address all of
my RAM. Has anyone installed the 64 bit version on their MBP? Any
problems, suggestions, feedback??

3) I currently have VMFusion 2.0.5. Has anyone had any success
getting Windows 7 to boot with this version?

4) Am I able to install Windows 7 alongside Windows XP with Bootcamp.
In essence; I would like to be able to be able to boot Windows 7,
Windows XP, AND OSX all with Bootcamp for maximum performance. (VMWare
is just for quick things like running MS Access).

I would be very much appreciative of any feedback.

Best,

- Adam
From: nospam on
In article
<a46a254b-0fbb-4081-8f41-f4f313786adf(a)j4g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
Bosco836 <abulkiewicz(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) I intend to purchase Windows 7 Professional through my University
> at a substantially reduced price. Can I install this using Bootcamp
> on my Macbook Pro?

yes

> 2) The copies the University is offering come with either the 32 bit
> version OR the 64 bit version - NOT both. Which should I purchase? I
> am inclined to go with the 64 bit version, in order to address all of
> my RAM. Has anyone installed the 64 bit version on their MBP? Any
> problems, suggestions, feedback??

that depends on what windows software you want to run.

> 3) I currently have VMFusion 2.0.5. Has anyone had any success
> getting Windows 7 to boot with this version?

i've heard it works in 2.x. i've installed it in 3.0 and it works fine,

> 4) Am I able to install Windows 7 alongside Windows XP with Bootcamp.
> In essence; I would like to be able to be able to boot Windows 7,
> Windows XP, AND OSX all with Bootcamp for maximum performance. (VMWare
> is just for quick things like running MS Access).

no. you get one partition for windows.
From: nospam on
In article
<nospam.m-m-E815AC.16184827112009(a)cpe-76-190-186-198.neo.res.rr.com>,
M-M <nospam.m-m(a)ny.more> wrote:

> > > 4) Am I able to install Windows 7 alongside Windows XP with Bootcamp.
> > > In essence; I would like to be able to be able to boot Windows 7,
> > > Windows XP, AND OSX all with Bootcamp for maximum performance. (VMWare
> > > is just for quick things like running MS Access).
> >
> > no. you get one partition for windows.
>
> Couldn't you make 2 partitions and have one with XP and the other with
> Win7?

boot camp assistant will only make one partition. you'd have to make
two partitions yourself and even if you did, i don't know if the mac
can boot windows off a second partition. if it can, then it should
work.
From: Mr. Strat on
In article
M-M <nospam.m-m(a)ny.more> wrote:

> Couldn't you make 2 partitions and have one with XP and the other with
> Win7?

No.
From: Tom Stiller on
In article <271120091653088156%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article
> <nospam.m-m-E815AC.16184827112009(a)cpe-76-190-186-198.neo.res.rr.com>,

> > > no. you get one partition for windows.
> >
> > Couldn't you make 2 partitions and have one with XP and the other with
> > Win7?
>
> boot camp assistant will only make one partition. you'd have to make
> two partitions yourself and even if you did, i don't know if the mac
> can boot windows off a second partition. if it can, then it should
> work.

It will work. Here's how I did it.
1. Create a Boot Camp partition and install WinXP.
2. Copy the installed WinXP with Winclone.
3. Using Disk Utility, create an equivalent sized, NTFS partition on a
GUID partitioned disk. I used a FireWire disk; if you use the
system disk, you will have to run from the install DVD.
4. Use Winclone to restore the WinXP image to the new partition.
5. install whatever Windows version you like in the original Boot Camp
partition.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Speaker sharing?
Next: Is OS X open source?