From: chuck on
XP Pro Sp 3

More and more, well into using the PC, Windows Explorer dies.

Sometimes it takes down the whole machine, but usually I
can select Don't Send and all is again well AFTER I
restart Explorer.

Is this a known fault??
From: Bob on
More information is needed to answer your question.
Read one or more of the below links then post back.

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Good Post
http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm

From: Twayne on
In news:O5O$A4zNLHA.6100(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
chuck <cciafNOSPAMfone(a)verizonNOSPAMk.net> typed:
> XP Pro Sp 3
>
> More and more, well into using the PC, Windows Explorer
> dies.
> Sometimes it takes down the whole machine, but usually I
> can select Don't Send and all is again well AFTER I
> restart Explorer.
>
> Is this a known fault??

No, it's not a fault of the software. You apparently have file corruption or
malware of some sort that is messing things up.

The very first thing you need to do is back up your important data files to
DVD or some other method of storage that is NOT on the computer. There are
many things that could be the cause of your problems. Don't forget your
Address Book and Favorites folder. Once you've made a backup you are ready
to proceed.
What program do/did you use to do your backups?

Did you install/uninstall any programs or make any hardware changes to your
computer just before that started to happen? If so, try removing them to see
if that fixes the problem. Be sure to remove software AN D hardware if both
were part of the install.
If it does fix the problem, then try reinstalling and see if the problem
returns. If it does, something is not compatible with Explorer.
Come back with the results of this step and explain what happened.

Then update your AntiVirus and Spyware detectors and run them in deep scan
mode if they have such a setting. If you have malware, that should sort it
out.

Another possibility is file corruption from within windows itself; it sort
of "just happens", or so it seems to a lot of people.
Try doing an XP Windows "Repair" (NOT reinstall): In theory you won't
lose any data this way, but even if you do something wrong and lose it you
still have the backup you made at the beginning of all this. It's a
non-destructive way of reinstalling the most important windows operating
system files.

If you still haven't found any joy after all the above, then come back and
describe precsely where you are with the problem, what you tried, and the
results. If you get error messages,, be sure to copy them here verbose, the
complete error message/s.
Lots of help here to assist you from this point on if you still have
problems.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
computer?

Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

From: azharalibuttar on
Yes, It really takes more than required time and sometimes it never come back
and crashes. I was trying to find some other solution for windows and found
few very good windows explorer alternatives given as under:
Se-explorer, MuCommander. please check the under given URL for complete List:
http://www.itoperationz.com/2010/08/huge-list-of-windows-explorer-alternatives/

Pages: 1
Prev: Blue screen
Next: using the command prompt