From: bflay on

Did you ever get a solution for this problem? I have the same problem on
two computers - on both Explorer always crashes when I try to delete a
file. The only way I can delete now is to drag the file to the Recycle
Bin.

From: Bob I on
Does pressing the Delete key also "crash" Explorer? Or only right clicking?

From: bflay on

Bob, thanks for replying. I found the solution elsewhere - here it is:

To try and find if a 3rd party shell extension is causing your Windows
Explorer to crash on certain actions, you'll need to download this handy
(and free) utility: ShelExView
(http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html). It will let you view &
disable shell extensions.

After you downloaded & executed it, ShelExView will show all shell
extensions installed on your system. You could sort the entries so that
you'll have all non shell extensions grouped together. Next, select all
these non Microsoft shell extensions, and disable them. Try the sequence
that would previously have resulted in Windows Explorer crashing (for
example browsing a folder, or right-clicking a file). If no crash
occurred, one of the shell extensions you disabled has been causing the
crash. To find out which one, start enabling one shell extension at a
time, each time testing to make sure you can still use Windows Explorer
without it crashing, until you find the shell extension that would cause
Windows Explorer to crash.

ShelExView gives you all additional information you need to know such
as the product & company name of the shell extension, as well as the
version number. If you would like to continue using the of the 3rd
party whose shell extension is causing the Explorer crash, contact the
company responsible, and check to see if there is an updated version of
the software you are trying to use.

Cheers, bflay1

From: Bob I on
You're welcome, sounds like you installed something that interfered with
the context menu.

From: Jose on
On Feb 18, 11:15 am, bflay <bflay.46n...(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:
> Bob, thanks for replying. I found the solution elsewhere - here it is:
>
> To try and find if a 3rd party shell extension is causing your Windows
> Explorer to crash on certain actions, you'll need to download this handy
> (and free) utility: ShelExView
> (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html). It will let you view &
> disable shell extensions.
>
> After you downloaded & executed it, ShelExView will show all shell
> extensions installed on your system. You could sort the entries so that
> you'll have all non  shell extensions grouped together. Next, select all
> these non Microsoft shell extensions, and disable them. Try the sequence
> that would previously have resulted in Windows Explorer crashing (for
> example browsing a folder, or right-clicking a file). If no crash
> occurred, one of the shell extensions you disabled has been causing the
> crash. To find out which one, start enabling one shell extension at a
> time, each time testing to make sure you can still use Windows Explorer
> without it crashing, until you find the shell extension that would cause
> Windows Explorer to crash.
>
> ShelExView gives you all additional information you need to know such
> as the product & company name of the shell extension, as well as the
> version number. If you would like to continue using the  of the 3rd
> party whose shell extension is causing the Explorer crash, contact the
> company responsible, and check to see if there is an updated version of
> the software you are trying to use.
>
> Cheers, bflay1

What was the extension that you think caused the problem and did you
get an update for it?